Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rudder bushings on a 5.2  Bottom

• Can I use nylon bushings? Is there any load (I don't think so) Am I mistaken is the main purpose is spacing and keep the bungee off the bolt?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • The bushings are to take the slop out between the rudder blades and the castings. Are these the bushings your referring to? The only nylon bushings i had in my 5.2 system were the ones in between the blades and castings.
  • right the bushings between the castings

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • There are 2 things that you would be talking about both referred to as bushings in certain cases. T

here is an aluminum tube that goes though the rudder. This is called the bushing. It is there to act as a pivot for the rudder, this should be aluminum and you should grease it occasionally.

I think what you are calling bushings are the spacers/washers that take up the space between the castings and the rudder. These are the things that prevent wobble in the rudder. For these nylon washers are fine, you want them to be somewhat slippery (self lubricating). Most people make their own using plastic milk jugs and scissors.

edited by: Wolfman, Jul 07, 2010 - 05:46 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Sorry I am so vague, there is a bushing that the bolt on the tiller crossbar goes through. The bungeee cord that hold the rudder up is attached to it. I am gonna use a nylon bushing there. Also when changing out the bungee, cut the sucker first. Or you may lose that bushing

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Yeah, nylon will work fine there.

Getting the shock cord attached is a bit of an adventure for sure.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.