Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tornado - Spinnaker rigging and retrieval lines  Bottom

• I just installed a spinnaker pole (well last winter but meaning recently as far as the weather is concerned) and I need to figure out how to run the retrieval lines to it re-enters the spinnaker bag without being torn to shreds... Looks like there's a place for a center of the sail retrieval line and anyway could someone send some pictures or drawings to refer to so I can get it set up properly.
    Trying to become expert.. (Wink wink)
    Thanks. Mike
    Bellingham Washington - USA
    (360) 708-5455

edited by: strategy, Jun 18, 2010 - 09:17 PM
  • Contact Jill Nickerson & Robbie Daniel (runnerup at trials) who advertise on this site (APHC F-16's--Damen may help here). They would give best advise as we sail only classic "T's". Pete
  • I actually bought my spinnaker from Jill and Robbie and got some very good stuff from them as well at a good price.
    They refered me to the Capricorn website which has an Owners Manual for the Capricorn which is helpful and does explain some of the lines but not to my satisfaction. I need a better description then that manual provides and would like to get a better line drawing or better pictures to refer to.
    Thanks.
  • i can take some pics for you today.. please explain exactly what you need to see.

is it more the retrieval lines on the spin or on/under the tramp?

Basically, i run mine this way:
    1 line for halyard/retrevial
    spinlock on the mast
    from there the line goes through a ring tied to my rear beam hiking strap, accross (near the beam) to another ring.. then into the grommet in the center of the tramp. the line runs under the tramp into the grommet in the back of the snuffer bag...

out the snuffer ring and then through the first loop on my spin (i have a webbing loop vs a grommet. then i tie it off to the webbing (top patch) on the spin.

of course the other bitter end of the line has run up the mast, down to the head of the spin.
  • I'm trying to get a mental picture of how the lines all syncronize to allow the spin to be raised and lowered without being torn into shreds. So any pictures of drawings that you could provide would be of assistance.
    Thanks. Mike
    My email address is: seakayak2@yahoo.com
  • sorry didnt get a chance to take pics today, maybe tomorrow.

shred?

its all a continuos single line. when you release the halyard, the head of the spin drops (usually to fast unless you have the exact, perfect amount of line). You feverishly pull the retrieval line (that goes through a grommet in the tramp, into the back of the snuffer sock) .

When you have a good amount of spin in da bag, you release the tack line and continue to pull the spin into the snuffer (w/ the retrieval line reved through the grommet in the tramp).

Easy as pie... (after the 24th attempt, and assuming your lines don't get kinked, or your spin doesn't get tangled in the bridals, or your boat doesn't head up on you since you dropped the tiller, or, or, or :) )

why do you think your gonna shred a sail?
  • oh yea, i did rip my brand new spinnaker once.. first sail even!

i would suggest you never use a carabiniere to connect your jib to your furler ring... your brand new spin might get pinched into it... and no matter how gently you try to get it out, it might rip the sail in a few areas on your sail :)
  • did that help?
  • That helps some and I certainly appreciate the effort.
    I'm determined to get it right and not shred any sails.
    If you ask enough questions, and one day you'll be an expert is kind of my strategy on this one..
    Thanks.
  • i still dont see how you are gonna shred any sail.

this is something that must be done a bunch before all the kinks are worked out... i suggest you just do it.

the trick to not ripping your sail is NEVER pull to hard on any spin lines... if it wont go in the hoop, or out the sock.. there is something wrong... so yanking harder is just trouble..

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.