Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

wings for my cat h 18  Bottom

• anyone have any experience with getting and putting sx wings on h 18 1980 era, any things to think about is this recommended or would it be bad idea? I suppose that it would be a good idea to upgrade the beam anchors allso.
    Thanks for any advice or input.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I could take some picts of my 18 mag (close ups) of the wings.... call me when ya get outta work............

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • You need to confirm that the hulls are not made from 84 thru 87. These hulls were thinner and the added stress from the wings could cause major failure. See posts on the Hobie Community Board at Hobiecat.com.

The key sign is a Red Sealant/Adhesive used to connect the deck to the hull. Look inside the port and you can tell very quickly. Many folks including me have reinforced the area where the crossbar attaches to the hull and added the new bracket for added strength.

Good luck and please let us know if you do this with pics.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Hey Ted,

Why sx wings and not Magnum wings that were designed for our
    boats? Do you have a line on sx wings? You are welcome to
    come and take a look at the magnum wing setup on my boat
    anytime.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • pknapp66Hey Ted,

Why sx wings and not Magnum wings that were designed for our
    boats?

Both kinds of wings work on all the 18's, there is no difference in the hull/beams between an 18SX and any other Hobie 18.

Sailinagain is right about the lightweight 1984-86 boats, but they could be reinforced if you find one that hasn't already broken the bow off.

I've had both kinds of wings, my 1981 had the Magnums and the 1992 has the SX type. They haven't made the welded Magnum wings since the mid '80's, the longer SX wings are riveted together allowing for shipping. Since they have such a long overhang and aren't quite as strong as the earlier wings there is a strut that attaches to the deck lip behind the rear beam.

You also need to add the bracket that are riveted to the beams where the wings attach. I think I have pictures of these details if I can find them.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteDo you have a line on sx wings?

there are a set on the used parts forum I have been checking every day onluy thing is they havent answered any posts as of yet, just wondering if it was something to pursue? they look like it is awesome to sail with the wings and I dont know that I would be doing raceing anyway. My boat is a 1980 so no problem with the red glue....
    Thanks for input everyone

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • The reason I asked is that the sx wings are much longer and I am not sure if they will fit your boat. Once in a while
    magnum wings come up for sale and are a bit cheaper. Once you sail with wings, you won't want to sail without them.

edited by: pknapp66, Jun 24, 2010 - 05:49 PM

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.