Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Thoughs 2nd cat - 5.8, miricle 20, ??  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm looking for my second cat. I have a H16 now but I am still new to sailing, first year. I would like some input from the veterans.
    I can find quite a few Miracle 20 Hobies and there is an old, 1982 5.8 in the area. These boats can be bought fairly cheap. Are thse boats a bear to handle? Should I spend more and pick up a Tiger or is it just too much to learn with?
    I'm 220# and generally sail off the beach. Mostly recreational but I always like more speed.
    Thanks for your thoughts
  • What beach? there is a big difference between gulf and open ocean sailing (but both can turn bad quickly)

This is a big leap in power and I am generally slightly conservative with suggesting big powerful cats to "newer" sailors but those boats could work if you feel you can handle them safely and take extra precautions (ALWAYS wear your pdf, sailing with other boats, having crew to help right the boat, furling jib to depower, vhf, flaires etc) as it is pretty easy to get overpowered in a gust.

• I had heard the H20 was an overpowered boat and that it could really use a wider beam to make it more stable. Personally never sailed one but have a friend that went from a H20 to a H21SE for a more stable ride.

Do you typically sail solo at 220lbs? Do you sail where there are other boats around?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Both those boats are a lot of boat. I'm partial to the 5.8 (of course). I've heard that the Hobie 20s are real bears to handle and right. The 5.8 is a little smaller and a little less hairy. If you are an experienced H16 sailor neither of those boats should be a problem for you.

An F18 like the Tiger is another step above both those boats in performance and complexity. Lots of fun if you are racing but a lot to deal with if you are pleasure sailing.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Hey Bob how about a 1989 Nacra 5.5sl? I know one in your area that will be available soon! Lol!! Its Floyd just messing with you I already have someone who is interested in buying it. If they decide not to buy it I will let you know if it interest you and since you hang out at 10 mile now I would make you a good deal on it. Let me know if thats something you would consider and I will keep you posted.

edited by: fa1321, Apr 21, 2010 - 12:26 PM
  • Bob how about a 1989 Nacra 5.5sl? I know one that will be available in your area real soon! LOl!! Its Floyd messing with you someone has expresseed interest in it already if they back out and a N5.5sl is something you may consider let me know and I will keep you posted. Since you hang out at 10 mile now I would make you a good deal as it would be nice to have another 5.5 in our group. Bob do not know why but it did not seem to take the first posting or could it be my sales tactic? lol!!!!

edited by: fa1321, Apr 21, 2010 - 01:50 PM
  • QuoteLots of fun if you are racing but a lot to deal with if you are pleasure sailing.

Good points Dave, where as the more modern race boats are faster and more responsive... with that comes a plethora of controlls, dagger boards (or center) and lines EVERYWHERE

My Boat (with no spin rigged)
    http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/m/3.jpg

NOT MY BOAT :)
    http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/wildline.jpg
  • Andrew that 2nd photo looks scary!

edited by: fa1321, Apr 21, 2010 - 01:48 PM
  • BobBean
    I'm 220# and generally sail off the beach. Mostly recreational but I always like more speed.
    Thanks for your thoughts

Bob,

The weight doesn't mean as much without knowing if you are sailing solo or have good crew (and what they weigh).

(also, I hate to mention it, but 220 is very relative, 230 is my ideal weight these days at 6'7" and 54 years old, and I struggle to maintain it, especially in the winter icon_wink )

With total crew weight, lighter is better of course, up to a point. Usually that point is around the minimum class race weight, for example the min crew weight for the H18 is 295, which means I'm always well above that and get scorched when I'm up against a boat carrying 300 lbs and sailing just as well as me. But every once in a while a big ole boy manages to get ahead of the younger lighter crews.

Of course for recreational sailing all these boats are "really fast" and if you never race you can always "imagine" the win, especially when you "race" another cat that doesn't know they are racing you. icon_razz

As Andrew said, "What Beach"? Please fill out your profile with good info and you'll get good advice.

If you aren't determined to go to a 20 footer then the Hobie 18 might be a good choice. I sail in the 230-250 lb range (depending on what I had for lunch) both with and without crew and the H18 has always done well for me.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I sail the Texas Gulf. As far as boating in general I am very experienced in power boats and have owned up to a 64 Hatteras. Sailing is a new venture. I bought a Hobie for my kids but it has really been a blast, much more fun than I would have thought. Generally I sail with a group. My concern is just the size of the Hobie seems small and I like speed and challenges. I also understand Over-Complicating things to a point of frustration. That's the basis for this thread. My nature is to compete.
  • BobBeanhave owned up to a 64 Hatteras. Sailing is a new venture.

OK, this is useful info, I now know what you should do.

Buy the new Nacra 20 Carbon, then hire Randy Smyth or Robbie Daniel to come over and spend a month coaching you up on the new boat.

That should do it! Say hi to the Texas City Dike folks as you blow past them.

http://nacra.us/images/F20cm.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdminSay hi to the [url=http://www.tcdyc.com/Texas City Dike[/url] folks as you blow past them.

Bobbean is a TCDYC'r

If you want to skip all the headaches buy Chris's tiger and call it a day. Ill gladly crew for you! I can always show you how to drive it in the begining! icon_biggrin

If you like flipping alot! If youve never flipped your not pushing it hard enough icon_biggrin

edited by: TurboCat, Apr 21, 2010 - 09:02 PM
  • Quotesail in the 230-250 lb range (depending on what I had for lunch)

What the HECK are you eating for lunch? a WHOLE side of beef?

PS, hate to tell you but i heard the N20 isn't being marketed/sold in the USA. You will have to add shipping to the price.

Bob, it sounds to me like you would appreciate the complexity and challenge of a bigger boat and are not afraid of it. thats great. If you are sailing with a group, i dont see why not. Best scenerio is keep the 16 for your kid and get yourself an 18 footer of some kind (hobie, prindle, nacra, f18..(tiger).

IN MY OPINION if you plan to sail with kids on your boat.. i would recommend you do a season (or 2) in the H16 (or similar). Its lack of control lines, LACK OF BOARDS, light weight, ease of righting and ease of sailing make it probably a safer way to get through the learning curve.
  • QuoteAndrew that 2nd photo looks scary!

YOU SHOULD SEE THE SKIPPER! :)

it's one of my fav! I post that often, pretty much every-time someone mentions "lines all over the deck"
  • To be honest, if you are that serious get the Tiger! I love my Nacras but out of the boats you mentioned the Tiger is the beast... Er I mean best. :)

Andrew, that is just silly. How would you jibe will all those lines in the way?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Bob, Get a NACRA. it's the only boat. all other boats don't matter. Chicks love guys on NACRA 5.8's and Andrew is a weenie!

We've been over this already.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Careful Bob, taking advice from Philip can lead to "slight situations" like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-04W5_RulFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-04W5_RulFo
  • Well given a choice... I think the Nacra F18 Infusion has won more races than just about any other F18... ;)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • 6' 7" ! holy cow damom! did you play b-ball for the tigers(memphis), you should get a way bigger boat, one where your feet don't hang off..

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Holy Crap I missed that, I'm that weight and a foot shorter! Methinks there will be some celery in my future. You should definitely be sailing a tornado!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.