Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1977 Prindle 16  Bottom

• So I have started to work on this prindle 16 that my parents have had sitting in the back yard for like 13 year. I have cleaned it up and now I am not sure what I need to get. To start I am not sure how the jib rigging goes. I read the other post on rigging but I am still unclear. Is there suposed to be some sort of a pulley at the top of the forstay that I rais the sail with. Also does anyone know what should be done for hull repair. I know the bottoms need to be built up a little, and there are a couple of spots on the side of the hull that look cracked but not all the way through. So do most people paint them or re gell coat the whole thing to the that glossey look back. Lastly can some one point me in the direction of new or used sails and tramps.

Thanks

edited by: be24pilot, Mar 28, 2010 - 06:06 PM
  • Here's the manual.

http://www.nacra.us/Prind…/Prindle151618Manual.pdf

In the classifieds on this site.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…t.php/product/2016/cat/4

edited by: skarr1, Mar 28, 2010 - 07:06 PM
  • I have both, a set of used sails and a P-16 used tramp. Send me an email at hullflyer1@netzero.com and I will send photos. I will give you a very reasonable price. Where are you located.
    Elias
    561-305-1349
    be24pilotSo I have started to work on this prindle 16 that my parents have had sitting in the back yard for like 13 year. I have cleaned it up and now I am not sure what I need to get. To start I am not sure how the jib rigging goes. I read the other post on rigging but I am still unclear. Is there suposed to be some sort of a pulley at the top of the forstay that I rais the sail with. Also does anyone know what should be done for hull repair. I know the bottoms need to be built up a little, and there are a couple of spots on the side of the hull that look cracked but not all the way through. So do most people paint them or re gell coat the whole thing to the that glossey look back. Lastly can some one point me in the direction of new or used sails and tramps.

Thanksedited by: be24pilot, Mar 28, 2010 - 06:06 PM

• QuoteAlso does anyone know what should be done for hull repair. I know the bottoms need to be built up a little, and there are a couple of spots on the side of the hull that look cracked but not all the way through.

Depends on your experience level. if you are not knowledgeable in epoxy/glass repair you should find a local shop that is.

QuoteSo do most people paint them or re gell coat the whole thing to the that glossey look back

depends on the condition of the gelcoat.. you may be surprised how much you can get the shine back with the right products.

i would suggest you finish any repairs first then you can try all sorts of products before you resort to re gelcoating or painting a catamaran (big job).
    You can look up vertglass, or Poli Glow or wet sanding, or oxalic acid, etc etc etc
  • Just fixed my own rudders saving me 120 a side. I feel on top of the world. Used some fiberglass epoxey and they came out way better than I thought they would. Now some more sanding and then some Gel Coat.
  • last year at this time i bought a'77 prindle 16 that was in rough shape...2 different color hulls, soft spots, skint up keels, wore out rudder hardware, etc.. its amazing what you can do when you try. we repaired everything we could and sailed much on it until october when we de-masted, leading to the current restoration(paint, new rigging,lines,etc.) we have gained an education on prindle 16 restoration and maintenance and will share our experiences with someone who asks. time is short this morning but i'll get back with you soon... you arn't scared to work on stuff and that will serve you well!!! bill.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • AS for he jib raising. You can attach a small block with a shackle to the pigtail on the upper forestay but you probably don't need to. You can just run the line through thimble on the pigtail and it will work about as well. As for the connecting you run the halyard up along the inside of the forestay through the RING through the thimble then back down through the ring.

The brummel hooks it is talking about bisect your halyard about half way so when the sail is up you can reach them from below and disconnect hem and stow half the halyard away and when the sail is down the hooks will be at the top but you need to make sure you have enough room for the sail to come down all the way before the brummel hooks hit the thimble or your block is you have one.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1269979978_24058.jpg

I have a set of Prindle 16 standing Rigging and trap lines that look to be decent shape. Since they are used and I'm no expert I'd take that with a grain of salt but at the very least they would make a good backup set

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.