Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 maintenance tip:inspection item  Bottom

• Hi all, I just noticed one of my beam straps had a small tear which wasn't visible until I had removed the strap entirely.

I removed and inspected all of the others but they are all in fine shape for what I suppose to be the original straps from 1985.

Luckily no beam bolts snapped this time (don't ask).

Perhaps someone had fitted a small black chip the wrong way around in the past, damaging this single strap. Perhaps it was bad vibes. Who knows, but it seems like a good idea to inspect them from time to time. Especially in an older boat like all 5.2s are by now. One of these straps loses strength and youre left with a single point of failure that could cost you your boat or worse...
  • Yeah, it's a good idea to inspect all you high stress parts at the beginning of the season and replace as needed. All the contact points for your beams, shrouds, etc and all your rigging. I keeps spare straps pins and other pieces around just because of that.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I had to remove my tramp to get some (read: almost all) stitches redone, which isn't as simple as it could be on the 5.2's. I went ahead and bought all new straps and bolts since I was loosening the ones currently on there, and they're definitely due. I didn't find any cracks, though.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I was counseled about them tearing right at the sharp bend so I removed all straps when I disassembled my 5.7 for winter storage/overhaul. I just got around to inspection a few weeks ago. I got some penetrating dye from the aircraft technicians,(You clean up the parts, spray them, then expose to UV light)even microscopic cracks show up under the light.
    All my straps were OK, so I will install them in the same spots they were removed from.
    They are cheap to replace if there is any doubt, $5 ea.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I bought new ones from www.murrays.com but I think I paid about 7 or 8 bucks for them. Money well spent.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.