Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 19  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Possible better "large load" handling than a Hobie 18.
  • i think the 2 boats are about equal in almost every way (except hull shape due to lack of boards on the P)

but weight limits and speed are about the same
    the P has a lower portsmith rating but i would guess this is due to its lack of boards (tacks slower, doesn't point as well)...

PS i would argue "spread out weight" is slower than weight in the correct placement (on any/every boat) :) i suggest you experiment (with a gps) :)
  • If I am reading Portsmouth right, P-18 is 74.8 and H-18 is 71.4. I assume the Hobie would point higher and tack better.It is a bit heavier, though.
  • I think there is a lot more volume in a P18s hulls than the H18. The H18s that I have seen all have dagger boards and probably will point higher. The better skipper wins the race.

edited by: kgatesman, Mar 22, 2010 - 04:08 PM
  • QuoteI think there is a lot more volume in a P18s hulls than the H18.

I wouldn't say a LOT... maybe a little.. .here is my old h18 in front and my friends p18 in the background...

it would be interesting to learn the actual volume, but one is curved one is straight so it doesn't mean all that much

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/camp/DSCF4459.jpg

ps we were not going anywhere till the tide came in :)

QuoteThe H18s that I have seen all have dagger boards and probably will point higher. The better skipper wins the race.

I agree

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 22, 2010 - 05:27 PM
  • A lot or not it is hard to say, I park next to a H18 at Wilmette. My thinking is at the bow and stern, they seem to have about the same dimensions. Between the cross bars however, the P18 hulls are just as wide and a lot taller. I think we need to fill a couple up with ping pong balls and start counting.
  • "taller" may be a result in more beer in one boats cooler :)

how many ping pong balls you got?
  • Clearly since the Prindle has ports, the cat bag equipped P18 trumps the H18 for beer hauling.
  • H18 has ports as well. They are the 6" Viking ports I think and do fit the cat bags also.

The P18 does look to have taller hulls, but the H18 hulls are fairly rounded at the bottom instead of pointed which would increase volume.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Scott are you still at Wilmette, I hope to meet you this year. I am in B-9.
  • fassailorDoes it do well with "real" weight?

I sailed my P18 w/ 400lbs on the trapeze flying a hull in medium wind.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • QuoteScott are you still at Wilmette, I hope to meet you this year. I am in B-9.

Yes I am still there, will have to track you down. I am at Q-15. At the end of the service road near the water plant.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteClearly since the Prindle has ports, the cat bag equipped P18 trumps the H18 for beer hauling.

My hobie came with a wet-bar and Capt. Morgan dispenser tastes great, less filling (than beer)
  • QuoteI sailed my P18 w/ 400lbs on the trapeze flying a hull in medium wind.

If have seen masts break with that much weight on the wire (plus a skipper inboard) in heavy air
  • Sailor Jerry...92 proof, try it!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuoteSailor Jerry...92 proof, try it!

i don't want to burn out my valves with high test, as it is i am running a little hot! :)
  • Pimp my ride style...

QuoteMy hobie came with a wet-bar and Capt. Morgan dispenser tastes great, less filling (than beer)
  • andrewscott
    QuoteI sailed my P18 w/ 400lbs on the trapeze flying a hull in medium wind.

If have seen masts break with that much weight on the wire (plus a skipper inboard) in heavy air

I just had myself and crew on the trap. I'm sure adding another person, or another anything with substantial weight, would change things.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • QuoteQuote
    I sailed my P18 w/ 400lbs on the trapeze flying a hull in medium wind.

--

Question for Andrew: 400 to 500 pounds is two big men, are you saying it is ok to have this much on the trapeze, if there is no man inboard, or are you saying two large men are pushing the limit of the double trap under any scenario? Thanks for clarification.
  • I am no engineer, nor have i been "around" cats all that long, but it is my understanding that these cats are built for 2 adults, in strong winds and anything more is putting stresses on these frames are not built for.

I have seen (pictures of) a brand new f16 crumble in 1/2 with 2 lighter adults, i know of masts breaking with 3 adults onboard in heavy air (6 meter cats) ...

I think if you push the limits.. something will give...

I read somewhere that every 7mph increase doubles the stresses on your rigging

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 23, 2010 - 10:49 PM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.