Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New to cats. Prindle 16 or Mystere 5.0?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Mystere parts are available, however they will be expensive...like any other builder. icon_frown
    My suggestion is since you will be sailing your first cat, you won't be racing much and don't have to worry about class approved parts. Best thing you can do as a sailer is learn how to repair your boat yourself. Make your own new standing rigging, fiberglass repairs, ect. This makes sailing MUCH cheaper (so you can blow that money on $1000 mainsails icon_biggrin )
    Mylar sails are nice, just have to take care of them because mylar is famous for delaminating if stored wet, or left in the sun for a long time. The huge bonus to mylar is that the sail shape is much better, and stays that way. Doesnt stretch like dacron)

There are a lot of good technical forum posts on beachcats about do-it-yourself repairs.

• Thanks for all the comments and advice. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about it now. The owner has been out the past couple days so haven't been able to see it yet. Did verify via phone and pictures that is is boomless and does have the keel-shaped hulls (no boards). I was hoping Andrew Scott would comment before I went to see it as I understand that he has a lot of Mystere experience. Will try to see it tomorrow.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Ok, i am here.. sorry i missed this thread... been kinda busy here...

Mystere's are a good balance of more modern design, without the 15K price tag of a new boat. The hull volume lets your drive so hard... you can bury the bows underwater... to the beam and still not pitchpole... they have large powerful sails... and like to go fast bur also allow nice mellow sailing when you have the girlfriend out.

they are very well balanced and i can fly a hull for miles in 10-12knots of wind...

5.0 xls are wider than the non xL's and have a taller mast (i think).

Prindles are robust and easy cats. Parts are more available than mysteres.. but i wouldn't trade my mystere for all the Tea in China.

Mylar sails will delaminate.. but you can repair and get a season out of them if they aren't shot. All of us here use used Tornado sails on our Mysteres (5.5's and 6.0s) and i am on my 2nd in 2 years. But i get over 100 sails out of each one.

Mystere parts are available from canada, but most can be replaced or refitted... as mentioned the rudder castings are the most likely serious parts to break. I broke my first set and had to get them welded. I purchased a complete spare set for $200 (rudders, castings, misc spare parts).

Feel free to PM with any specific questions

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/zack.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Feb 16, 2010 - 11:40 AM
  • Andrew,

Glad to hear from you before I meet the owner. I may take you up on the PM offer for more specifics once I see and inspect the boat. I think this boat has many features that fit my need so unless I find something with the condition that makes me nervous I'll probably give it go. Thanks for the info.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • haha,.., you already have the mystere in your signature... :)

fun2themaxAndrew,
    Glad to hear from you ...
    --
    F-Max
    Mystere 5.0
    --

edited by: andrewscott, Feb 16, 2010 - 11:28 PM
  • Yes, I finally got to see the boat this evening and I liked what I saw so now I am the proud owner of my first cat, a Mystere 5.0. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice. Andrew, I'm hoping to tap you for some Mystere specific info in the near future. Now to find some time to get everything checked out, tuned up, and cleaned up and to get myself up to speed on how to sail this baby. Guess I should start another post for all those questions! Thanks again.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Congrats!

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • man that looks like a sweet deal! you could not have done any better for the buck! now you find someone to repair those sails(few bucks) and rig that puppy in the front yard a few times to get to know it! welcome to the speed addiction support group!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuoteAndrew, I'm hoping to tap you

DONT EVER WRITE THAT PHRASE AGAIN! haha

congrats... feel free to ask away.
  • I'll be more careful with my wording next time icon_smile , but I'm counting on you being a Mystere expert. I'll PM you with some rigging/set-up question once I get organized.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • no need to PM

just create a new forum topic, your questions may be a valuable resource for another sailor some day..
  • Will do!

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • I'm thinking about buying a Mystere 5.0 XL here in France, having narrowly missed out on a Prindle 15. Looks like a really great boat, however I'm a bit concerned about the lack of parts (Mystere doesn't exist anymore). Also, does anyone have any technical documentation about this boat? I've been hunting on the internet and have found nothing. I'm planning on sailing this solo, am about 200 pounds, is that possible?
  • I think that Mystere still exists in some form or another. They certainly don't have a web site, but if you contact them (fortunately the language barrier shouldn't be an issue for you) you can likley get the parts you need.

One thing I found with most Cats is that most of the things that wear out (i.e. rigging/sails/small parts)can be replaced from after market dealers and at sailing shops. The parts that are custom to the boat (rudders/mast steps, castings) are more difficult to find. There are quite a few mystere's still around though so it is also possible to find second hand parts.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • most parts are available from the mystere school in canada.

École de voile Sansoucy
    150, 27e avenue Pointe-Calumet
    J0N 1G1
    (450) 472-8042"

the 5.0 lx is a fantastic cat, but if parts are not around i would probably pick a cat that does have some support.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.