Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New to cats. Prindle 16 or Mystere 5.0?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I own and sail small monohull boat but would like to get a cat that I can sail off the South Texas beaches and inland lakes. I'm a big guy at 6'3" 240. I need to have a boat that I can set up and sail alone but also would like it to be able to carry one or two others. I have been looking for a Prindle 16 because I hear the hulls have more volume than an H-16 and carry more weight. Just found a nice Mystere 5.0 in the area but I am not familar with this boat and haven't found much info. I'm looking for thoughts on these boughts from someone who is familar with both and ideas for other cats that might work for me. Thanks.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • there is a dude on this site who loves Mystere boats. you will know when he posts. i love my prindle 16,bang for buck can't be beat. i'm 240ish and my crew is 260ish and it's no problem. naturaly its a choice of the best boat for price at this level

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • At your size, a Prindle 18 (not the 18-2) would be a little better. More hull volumn, but only 30 pounds heavier. Would be much better if you also want to include a few passengers.
  • Prindle 16 would be the better choice over the Mystere. Prindles, if well-kept, are rugged as hell, which is perfect for a new cat sailor. Prindle 18 may be a good choice, gives you more room to grow with one boat --- faster and more powerful. Nowhere near as cheap, but possibly the best boat for a new cat sailor would be the Hobie Getaway. Stable, rugged, and sort of fast. icon_smile

Just be prepared to become addicted to the speed icon_biggrin
  • I agree. My first choice is the Getaway but used ones are very rare and expensive around here. I'd like to test the waters with a less expensive option first before I go that route. I'm a recreational sailor, not a racer, so simplicity and easy of set-up and operation would get the nod over performance. The boomless main on the Getaway is a nice feature and I was thinking that the Mystere might be boomless as well but haven't been able to verify that yet.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Definitely sounds like the Prindle 16/18 is the best option then. The Hobie 18 might be an option too, as they are more prevalent and cheap, but that cat is a little more complicated and rides the line as a relaxed boat/racer.

In the end, all these boats have massive performance relative to most sailboats, and therefore not necessarily simple to sail and operate as a new cat sailor. There is a learning curve, but it is a blast experiencing that curve.

All these older cats do have some problems you will want to look into when in the market for one. Delamination/softening of the fiberglass is a big problem. These cats can get soft or "spongy", which is very dangerous to sail with, and a PITA to fix. In general, steer clear of these boats.
  • Looks like I can get a good deal on a Mystere 5.0 in great shape. Wish I knew more about how it compares to the Prindle 16 in handling and payload. It does have the boomless main so that is a positive to me in terms of simplicity. I'm going to go inspecet it in a day or so then I will know better. Anybody know the market price for this boat and trailer, both in very good shape?

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • My two cents. I have a Prindle 18 and sail quite often with over 600 lbs in crew weight and never with less than about 400 lbs. The boats Handles it well. At 240 with a chance at more crew you can't go wrong with the P16 and you might consider a P18. I have yet to set it up solo but I rarely sail alone with the right setup to support and step the mast it can be done.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • in texas you'd want to look try for a nacra 5.2 at the TCDYC

http://www.tcdyc.com/?q=node/387
  • There are 2 types of Mystere 5.0. I'm assuming you will be looking at a 5.0XL that has a skeg shaped hull and no centreboards (the boomless main indicated that that is probably the design). If it is the older version (with centreboards) than you are likely better off with the Prindle 16.

The Mystere 5.0xl, however is a REALLY nice boat and really fast. Nice modern wave piercing hull profile, high volume with boardless, skeg shaped rear and no boom (similar in shape and performance to a Nacra 5.0). If it is in good condition you really can't go wrong with one. Price really depends on how old it is. An early 90's model should go for under $2000. Later models and really good condition may go for more. They are still manufactured, but not very common.

If it is in good shape there is no reason not to go for it! The fact that is it boardless and boomless are huge pluses for a starting boat! Two less things to worry about!

Andrew Scott, where are you!? You've owned a Mystere forever and sailed the heck out of it. You must have some good advice!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • hmmm, found a Mystere 5.0 on the TCDYC, a 1991 to be precise, and it looks good..

http://www.tcdyc.com/?q=node/485
  • If that's the one you are looking at, that is smokin'!!!! Definitely worth serious consideration!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I agree with Wolfman, if thats the Mystere, grab that boat as fast as possible. It looks great, has a galvanized trailer, mylar mainsail...perfect starter boat
  • that is one sweet 1300 dollar boat.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Starter boat nothing. I would take that as my main boat!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • That is the one. I'm going to look at it as soon as the owner is available. I'm not familiar with the mylar sails. What are the pros and cons? He says it has a little delamination on the bottom edge of the sail but has lots of life left. Haven't seen it yet but is this a serious issue?

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • My other concern about this boat is whether there are parts availble for it. If anyone has insite on this let me know.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • you can get the sail repaired professionaly probably local for a few bucks. look up the company on line and give them a call or e-mail and check out parts availability. thats a great looking 1300 dollar boat, definitely worth a second look. when you inspect it, poke and squeeze all around the hulls for soft spots, check out all standing rigging esp. where they connect(popped strands and rust at fittings). take some good pics of sail damage to show sail maker for repairs estimate. rig the boat fully while inspecting and bring grease gun for trailor wheels in case you drive it home. i love my p 16 and recommend them highly but i would definitely look hard at this boat!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • For $1300...make sure it will sail, make sure there are no soft spots. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Agreed, Mylar sails are great but not as durable as dacron they are lighter and don't stretch like dacron, those are cut radially also which is very nice. They are certainly worth more than dacron sails.

There aren't too many custom parts on a mystere except the hulls themselves and rudders. Try calling them, but be warned that they are located in quebec so you are likely to start with who speaks french and only a little english.

For $1300 it may be even be worth it if there is a little delam on top of the hulls and getting them repaired. Thats a really nice hull profile that is rare to find at that price.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.