Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any advice on a new cat?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• HI, My name is Isaac and im 14. I have been sailing and windsurfing for about 2+ years now and I am looking to buy a catamaran. Its a long story but I started out with a hobie 14 (when i was a beginer) then an situation came up to where i basicly traded that for a catalina 22 sailboat. I am the only sailor in my family and I could sail the catalina basicly by myself. It was an incredible boat but then my dad was diagnosed with huntingtons disease and he can no longer balance properly and, well, the boat was to much for him. I sold it and im looking for a cat that i could sail solo but also take a passenger or two. Ive sailed both a hobie 16 and a prindle 16 by myself and i could get them both upon one pontoon. I was wondering which was a better buy. Ive been looking on craigslist and stuff and was wondering if anyone has any advise. I basicly came upon the money from when i sold the catalina and i would like to put it tword a catamaran for my family. I live in Merrit Island area in Florida and i sail in the banana and indian river. Any advise?
  • hi Isaac,
    generally the prindle gets the nod ahead of the h16

but as you have already owned a h14 probably the h16 would be the better choice for you

there are far more of them around and they are still being made so you should have a good choice

they are much harder to right than a h14 when you do go over so be conservative when solo and get some sort of righting system
  • Isaac,

Sounds like you've got a great start on catamaran sailing experience. It's hard to go wrong with a Hobie 16 in your case, it is a bigger stronger hobie 14 so all you have to learn is rigging the jib. Nothing wrong with a Prindle 16, just not as many to play with.

If you will be sailing solo most of the time, keep on the lookout for a Hobie 17. Nice performance and designed as a single hander.

This one is sold, but gives an idea
    http://www.thebeachcats.c….php/product/10146/cat/1

Please fill out your profile so we can get to know you, there are probably members in your area.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • If you can find a Prindle 16 it is a really nice boat and overall better behaved than the Hobie (i.e. easier to right and doesn't pitchpole as much)!! Most of the parts are still made. A hobie 16 will likely be cheaper (because there are so many) to buy and maintain though.

Single handed, you would ideally prefer one of the 17 foot single handers out there, preferably without daggerboards. A Hobie 17 is a really nice boat with pop up centreboards (less danger of damaging the boat if you hit something submerged). The Nacra 5.0 (16 foot) can also be rigged without the jib for single handed sailing and doesn't have the boom and daggers to worry about, but it may be harder to find a used one at a decent price.

All and all you are probably best off with a Hobie 16 based on price, maintenance and ease of rigging/sailing. The only thing to worry about is that it is tough to right by yourself. Plan on getting a good righting system and consider a mast float. Once you have figured out how to do it a couple of times it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • You need to get in touch with the Fleet 45 group. They are based in your area and a great bunch of people.
    The best way is thru this site.
    http://www.1design.net
  • Thanks for the advise. I have a Prindle 16 in the area im looking at this weekend. I like the feel of the prindle when i was sailing my friends. There seems to be less stress on the ruddles and a bit easier to steer. ---Isaac

edited by: crasyman95, Jan 25, 2010 - 03:56 PM
  • Yeah, generally speaking the Prindle 16 was designed to fix some of the bad habits of the Hobie 16. More floatation up front to prevent pitchpoling, better hull shape for better pointing, etc. There are a couple of schools of thought on it, but in my opinion the Prindle is an overall better design. I know many people who would debate me on that (and possilby fist fight with me) though. Also I have yet to meet a Prindle owner who doesn't love thier boat.

That being said, you really can't beat the Hobie on simplicity and ease of use.

edited by: Wolfman, Jan 25, 2010 - 04:43 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Ok thanks- Like i said i have both a h16 and p16 available to look at. Ill keep it updated------------------------------By the way, there in a prindle 16 that has its hulls completely filled with faom to make it like the Boston Whalers, unsinkable. Will that affect the performance any way? There are alot of regattas in my area and I am thinking on joining one.

• Please fill out your profile so we can get to know you, there are probably members in your area.[/quote]

Ok I have a primitive Profile filled out Ill put pics later
  • damonAdminIsaac,

Sounds like you've got a great start on catamaran sailing experience. It's hard to go wrong with a Hobie 16 in your case, it is a bigger stronger hobie 14 so all you have to learn is rigging the jib. Nothing wrong with a Prindle 16, just not as many to play with.

If you will be sailing solo most of the time, keep on the lookout for a Hobie 17. Nice performance and designed as a single hander.

This one is sold, but gives an idea
    http://www.thebeachcats.c….php/product/10146/cat/1

Please fill out your profile so we can get to know you, there are probably members in your area.

---Ya I know how to work and rig jibs and all that, Like i said i had to sail my Catalina 22ft basicly by my self--

edited by: crasyman95, Jan 25, 2010 - 08:24 PM
  • crazyman, this is the oldest debate in cat sailing. i grew up on hobies (14, 16, 18) and always thought prindles looked goofy. i currently own both h16 and p16, bought the prindle this past summer reluctantly(too good of deal). i weigh around 240 lbs so righting is not an issue ,for that matter, neither is flipping but it happens. my biggest differences on the two boats is this: i like the hobie on lighter winds, especially solo but if its gusting they can be squirrelly and if there is another big person on it its overloaded. the prindle is more stable in higher winds and has greater payload. i also like the prindles rudders, when they are balanced i can hold the tiller with 2 fingers lightly. the hobie is a dryer boat and the prindle is a little more wet and wild. all that being said, i prefer my prindle(reluctantly) because its better in heavy seas and higher winds, my favorite conditions and its a more comfortable to sit on hulls as opposed to aluminum bar. i also can put 3 people on the prindle and not be overloaded where the hobie bogs down. either one is cool, so you can't miss. hope this helps, bill.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Foam filled hulls doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I know some people have debated on here but there is a pretty good chance of them getting waterlogged if you spring a leak and you will have a heck of a time finding the leak! Not to mention it would likely add a lot of weight to the boat. Foam is lighter than water but it isn't weightless.

I would say get boat in the nicest condition for the price you can find, either an H16 or a P16. If you are already sailing 22 foot boats you will likely want to step up to a more modern design in the 17 to 18 foot range in a couple of years anyway. Especially if you hook a couple of friends and start racing.

Regards.
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • The Prindle and Hobie are both foam sandwich constructed hulls, there is no difference in the process. The H-16 used to have a block of foam in the bow section of the hulls but I am not sure if they still do it. Neither boat has foam filled hulls.
    coastratcrazyman, this is the oldest debate in cat sailing. i grew up on hobies (14, 16, 18) and always thought prindles looked goofy. i currently own both h16 and p16, bought the prindle this past summer reluctantly(too good of deal). i weigh around 240 lbs so righting is not an issue ,for that matter, neither is flipping but it happens. my biggest differences on the two boats is this: i like the hobie on lighter winds, especially solo but if its gusting they can be squirrelly and if there is another big person on it its overloaded. the prindle is more stable in higher winds and has greater payload. i also like the prindles rudders, when they are balanced i can hold the tiller with 2 fingers lightly. the hobie is a dryer boat and the prindle is a little more wet and wild. all that being said, i prefer my prindle(reluctantly) because its better in heavy seas and higher winds, my favorite conditions and its a more comfortable to sit on hulls as opposed to aluminum bar. i also can put 3 people on the prindle and not be overloaded where the hobie bogs down. either one is cool, so you can't miss. hope this helps, bill.

• I think he was referring to a specific boat where someone has spray foamed the hulls full.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • i would definitely steer clear of hulls filled with foam. it adds weight and the foam can get waterlogged adding even more weight.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Welcome to the world of cat sailing,

many good points here. I would say.. get the boat in the best condition you can afford. if you don't explode it you should be able to recoup most of your original cost (not upgrades or repairs) if/when you sell it in a few years for a bigger, badder beast!

I would avoid foam filled hulls, as this was probably added due to the belief there was a hole/sink scare.

• I would go for the lightest boat that would still hold up to a good amount of abuse. Unless you have a water side lot and a hoist, a 16 or 17 foot cat will be a lot of boat to move around by yourself. Beach wheels help, but pulling a 350 lb cat up a somewhat steep beach (not a huge issue since you live on a giant sandbar) can be a chore even for a full grown adult male.

If you have the cash and can find a good used boat, I would consider a Taipan 4.9 (or F16 variant). It provides a lot of performance, but only weighs 230 lbs fully rigged. It also sails well as a uni rig.

Unless you are a big 14 year old, I would definitely keep it under 18 feet. A carbon mast will also make it easier to right if you have the budget for it.

• crasyman95Thanks for the advise. I have a Prindle 16 in the area im looking at this weekend.

Someone heard you were looking for a P16
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…roduct.php?product=10167

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I agree about the foam filled hulls, terrible idea and I would run away from that boat.

The foam WILL get waterlogged. If it's been in there even a couple of seasons I bet that boat weighs a ton, plus there is the obvious question of why they did it? Leaky hulls anyone?

There was an aluminum catamaran called the Sizzler that came from the factory with foam filled hulls, these boats got heavier and heavier over time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Betcha an aluminum cat with the brand name Sizzler would make a darn fine barbeque though! :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.