Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

"New" NACRA 5.2  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Grrrrr Pontoons are for pontoon boats!!!!

my cat came with a port on each bow, and i put in a hatch last year in front of my front beam (replacing 1 port). It did make me nervous, and i know Nacra will say that is where you boat will break.. and it may.. (i am insured).

But my cat is well tested in all conditions... knock on wood

I too just put holes in my bulkheads as well. It doesnt look like it will effect the strength but i plan to re-enforce them when done with my current repairs... just in case

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 07, 2010 - 09:32 PM
  • Thanks Dave, A lot of Nacra parts have migrated from Virginia to Canada!

The deck on the Nacras isn't really a structural piece (IMHO), it is glued on to the hulls after manufacturing. At least that is my understanding. If you had to cut it to get to the other side of the beam, you wouldn't have to make a serious repair, just have some kind of backing in the hull, then lay some glass on top and sand smooth. A port is not a good idea because it gives no structural support and they aren't always sealed. That and you always put one right where you want to sit.

Putting a port in the deck in front of the front beam on a Hobie 14, 16 or 18 is a recipe for disaster.

• andrewscottGrrrrr Pontoons are for pontoon boats!!!!

...and I HATE it when someone calls them sponsons!! Sponsons are for air planes!!!! icon_mad
  • QuoteThe deck on the Nacras isn't really a structural piece (IMHO), it is glued on to the hulls after manufacturing. At least that is my understanding.

I am no engineer but i would think they DO provide an enormous amount of strength. the forces being pulled up and inward on the hulls is tremendous. the deck lid prevents torque and twist.

I also THINK that deck lids EDIT I MEANT PORTS (when closed) do give support.

I think one of the main problems (after this was pointed out to me when i had to remove a port last week..) is that after cutting into foam core... you have just opened up the foam to the elements... water gets in the foam and weakens the structure.

It was suggested that you should rout out about 2" of foam and fill it with epoxy to seal it and prevent water log..

there was a decent amount of moisture in my foam where the port was.

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 08, 2010 - 12:27 PM
  • Someone just (couple months ago) posted a pic either here or on the other cat site after having removed their deck lids with, apparently, the mast raised. The pull from the bridles folded the starboard pontoon =) fairly significantly.

I would definitely consider the lids to be structural parts of the hulls.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • From this pic (from the nacra redo site referenced above) there does look like some structural elements under the deck lid. In addition, I agree with Andrew, the deck lid should add some support. judging from the pic the actually location of the port probably make some difference too.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=71686&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=fd87eb231c60a85545f06c00d0aedab4

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Sheesh! I wish someone would give me a H18. So sad to see a cat of this calibre left to rot like this but it's a common sight, I know of a H16 in my area that looks just like this Nacra except there are trees growing through the trailer frame, I've tried to persuade the owner to let me have it but for some strange reason he won't let it go. Just a quick note, in pic P1090836, I noticed that the mast head sheave looks pretty shot, you might want to check it out. icon_wink

Turbo
  • Thanks for the note on pic 1090836.

Anyone sles notice anything obvious?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.