Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What to do?  Bottom

• Just purchased a new drysuit for the first time ever,never had one what to do since i reside in Northern, MI lets see theres snow and ice but the Bay is open water.Although i've put it on 3 times already cant wait til spring.Theres always iceboatin.
  • So the water is probably 33 degrees and the air temp in the 40's? Are you going to try out that drysuit in those conditions? Hope you have some good gloves and a warm hat icon_smile

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • congrats.. what kind? where did you get it? price (i know i am a rude byatch)?
  • Your going to need it if we ever get the balls to do a Christmas eve sail across the bay!

We have talked about sailing across the bay on Christmas eve for chits and giggles. I can only imagine what all the families who come home to ma and pa's and look out the picture windows to the bay would have to say. "those guys have to be *&%$#*#* Crazy" "and on a beachcat too!"
    A power boat for "incidents" may come in handy. icon_lol icon_razz icon_eek
  • congrats.. what kind? where did you get it? price (i know i am a rude byatch)?

I got it on Ebay its an NRS has extra cordura on knees and shins as well as rearend.I got it for $234.49 its new so i thought that was a good price and since its the first one ive owned i didnt want to spend $600+ as some of those get quite expensive.It does feel pretty weird at first especially around the neck when your not use to it.But cant wait it shouldmakefor more time on the water especially in MI you never no what to expect.
  • You'll need some good boots and gloves if they did not come with it. Really, you can use that suit for a comfortable swim between the ice burgs!....just depends on what you have underneath.
    Have you tested it yet? I got a used one and it had some very small leaks. Sent it back to the factory and they fixed the leaks and sewed in a new zipper.

Year Round Sailing!!! (I know, I know...easy to say from California!)
  • awesome! i just dont think i can handle the neck gasket.. i HATE things around my neck...

my friend uses neoprene waders (they float) with a spray top and can go chest deep without getting wet. When i said they sound dangerous if they fill with water.. he said "THEY FLOAT" i challenge you to try and sink with them on.. filled with water or not..

I think i will get a pair if the water gets much colder (back up to 60 now)
  • Sweet! I've got a dry suit that my boss loaned me for on water demos. I HATE the neck gasket. He gave me some advise telling me that guys will put a milk carton in the neck the day before they go out so its not so constrictive. I was gasping for air the first time I wore it. Also, I noticed I still got cold as hell standing in the water (more than 10 minutes)...and hot as hell out of the water. Also, I think I look like a "Ghost Buster" in mine...HA!
  • Quotemy friend uses neoprene waders (they float)

Try the waders on & walk around in them for a while before you buy. I have a set at my Western place, use 'em for trout fishing in the Canadian Rockies.
    Your buddy is right, they will float,(made out of a wetsuit type material) BUT, they have a nasty tendency to make your bottom 1/2 more buoyant than your top 1/2, wanting to flip you face down in the water. I've tried swimming in mine, you don't sink, but the wrong end is floating, plus you weigh 400 lbs when you try to crawl back up on shore. It could be a struggle to climb back up onto your boat. With most models you need a special pair of boots that you can fit over the foot ends of them. If I only needed a small amount of cold water protection, I would go with a wetsuit. Cheap & much more manouverable than the waders.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.