Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA N20 Mast Base Casting  Bottom

• Hi all. Just purchased a 2001 N20. Had a question regarding a partially broken mast base casting. I don't have a picture at the moment but the damage is to one side of the casting. Essentially, one of the holes where the clevis pin goes through has broken off. One hole still remains. Is there any danger during sailing in regards to the mast getting knocked off if (when) I capsize or perhaps in strong gusts or maybe another condition?

I was able to step the mast down with no problem for winterizing this past weekend. From previous posts it appears that the two holes for the clevis pin are purely to aid in stepping the mast. But it would be nice to get some ideas from people more experienced. Thanks
  • You are correct the 2 holes are for stepping the mast only. You should remove the pin while sailing. If you should become demasted while sailing and need to remove the sails and place the mast on the boat and paddle home or be towed. It will be near impossible to remove the pin so you can pull the mast forward onto the boat.
  • also unless it is a captive ball system, the mast can not rotate with the pin in.

edited by: andrewscott, Dec 28, 2009 - 03:22 PM
  • That is one of the most common things to break on a Nacra. Most base castings you see used for-sale have that type of damage. Usually it happens when you try and unstep the mast for the first time and don't rotate the mast 90 degrees it either bends the dolphin striker rod or breaks the base casting at the pin hole. You can likely sail with it broken as long as the cup that the ball rides in is intact.

The only problem is without the pin in place during stepping and unstepping the mast the mast can jump off the ball at an inopportune moment. I've stepped mine with and without the pin in place without too many difficulties but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Luckily the Nacra bast casting is universal for all boats and is still available for about $50 from a Nacra dealer or one of any number of online parts dealers.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

• andrewscottalso unless it is a captive ball system, the mast can not rotate with the pin in.

Not true for Nacras. The pre captive base system were essentially the same base without the holes for the pin. The very early and original bases had a smaller step ball. . . but they all rotate regardless, pin or no pin.

Your statement is true for other manufactures like AHPC, etc., but not Nacra.

edited by: mummp, Dec 31, 2009 - 09:26 PM

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yeah that's why almost everyone who has owned a Nacra has broken a mast base at one time or another. At some point early on you forget to rotate the mast 90 degrees when unstepping it and snap. Fortunately for me the mast base was fine but the dolphin striker rod bent. It only happens once though, after ruining your sailing time and having to mail order new piece for $60-$120, you never ever forget again. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.