Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tramp lacing  Bottom

• I found the lengths required for a Nacra 5.7 (10'& 18'), but I cannot find what kind of line to use. Lo stretch, no stretch, some stretch? I did a search of the site, several projects & pics, but didn't run across what type of line to buy.
    We have West Marine here, & a fellow who specializes in line for nautical purposes. What composition, trade name should I ask for?
    Yjr boat came with an old tramp & a new one, but the lacing looks faded & worn, I'd like to replace it.

edited by: Edchris177, Dec 10, 2009 - 04:24 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Most guys here prefer to use low stretch line for thier tramps. Recommended are Dyneema and Vectran blends. I like VPC line for the price and low stretch/low creep qualities. Others prefer Robline or other dyneema blends. Normal size line is 3/16" but you can go thinner for higher end pure dyneema line.

Others swear by 3/8" premium shock cord.

A 3/16" low stretch line with dyneema or vectran in the blend is probably your best bet for price, performance and longevity.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks, while perusing the old Nacra parts list, I see one line lists as 3/16", the other as 1/4". It would be simpler to just buy 1 length of 1/4".
    What is VPC?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Ed, 1/4 is just too big for lacing the tramp, especially if it is a diagonal cut, IMO.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yeah, you are going to have problems getting really good equal tension across the tramp with the thicker line. This is one case where thinner is better, as long as it can take the load. This is why you can go quite thin with the high tech low stretch lines.

There are a couple of good knots for cinching up the lines also, can't think of the names off hand.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • OK, hard to argue with experience, 3/16" it is! I thought that thicker line might be better, especially on the rear. The load is distributed fairly well around the radius of the tube that goes through the tramp, but those little captive staple like gizmos that slide in the groove of the rear beam are pretty thin. I had visions of them cutting through thin line, but I guess they are only holding a few hundred lbs, divided by 10 or so of them, isn't really that much of a load.
    I couldn't find, or missed in the older Nacra assembly manual about how tight to string them. I think I read that the Hobies aim for some actual deflection of the hulls, does this hold true for the N 5.7?
    I know I'm getting ahead of things, can't sail for 4 months, but like a kid with a new toy, I just gotta work it.
    I'm gaining more & more intel, & integrating it with the assembly instructions, essentially going at it the way we work airplanes. I think by spring I will have a good level of confidence for putting it together & rigging things properly. Actually learning to sail it will be another curve, but I'll have most of the summer off to try.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • It ain't a Hobie, it ain't gonna deflect. Lace 'er up as tight as you reasonably can.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.