Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

brightly colored blades?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I bought my graphics from Wildergfx (at Andrew's good review). It was a great experience...and one day they will get on the boat!
  • flightleadMaybe paint the cross beams and mast as well. I've seen posts on one of these sites where they use Ceram-kote, which is practically scratch resistant...maybe look into it if you are going to paint the hulls,rudders, and centerboards.

Haven't thought of this...I was wanting to freshen up my ride, but not necessarily get into the expense or time of redoing the hulls yet(they still clean up nice and bright). Anyone with experience or suggestions? Wonder what to do to the blades...hot pink? lol
  • QuoteHaven't thought of this...I was wanting to freshen up my ride, but not necessarily get into the expense or time of redoing the hulls yet(they still clean up nice and bright). Anyone with experience or suggestions? Wonder what to do to the blades...hot pink? lol

well they claim vertaglass is da bomb to restore the hulls to original luster (sounds like a commercial).. and it looks easy to use.. if you want to really clean em up without new gelcoat.

I would re-do the rudders with white or black gel-coat (or heck pink if you want) but that should be an easy enough job.

please post pics when done! :)
  • I am not a professional detailer, only a hobbiest (sp?) that likes to tinker. This is just my own experience and what I have found to work for me based on advice from others that provided direction to me (it's called taking pity).

If your gelcoat is already oxidized (chalky looking, flat) and in poor condition, but you still have plenty of thickness left, then there is still life left in it.

Wet sand with 1000 grit first....then move up to 1500 grit. You will be surprised at how "new" it ends up looking just after wet sanding alone.

Don't stop there. You can get it to really look good if you put some more effort into it.

3M Finess-It II (compound and polish):
    Use a compound after your 1500 grit, with a power polisher. I used an old Porter Cable polisher which I bought from craigslist for $25. The motor didn't run and I just changed the brushes in it for $6 and lubricated the bearings with all-purpose grease...good as new. Don't get carried away, you don't want to remove too much material! I used a foam polishing pad for this. Don't work an area too much and work it in a winding pattern (down, move to the right a little, up, move to the right a little, down). Then alternate with left to right (again, left, move down a little, then right, move down a little, then left).

Then use a polishing paste to really bring out the shine. Same pattern as before, using a wool pad this time.

Wipe off your compounds and polish with microfiber cloth. You can buy them cheap enough in packs from your auto-supply store and then work REALLY well at removing the residue with little effort. You can throw them in the wash (behind your wife's back) when your done and reuse.

Lastly, wax the hull and do it every year so you keep that wonderful shine going.

On a small boat, like a beach cat, you can do all this in one weekend. It IS still a complete PITA, but some people enjoy the rewards. I have to say, I love the fact I don't have to worry about how my cat looks...I bought an old boat and I sail it as is. :)

After cutting into your gelcoat your going to have to wax it every year or it will quickly deteriorate. You remove some of the durability when you start cutting into it, but what option do you have since it's already oxidized.

Dan

On Edit: This is in response to using "vertaglass" in the post above :)

edited by: DaC, Dec 29, 2009 - 04:42 PM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.