Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Shroud and Forestay Adjusters  Bottom

• OK, so I have figured out the type of rigging I want to go with to replace my old rigging (bare stainless with hydraulicly swaged stainless fittings). Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the shroud and forestay adjusters. I have been using the stock pin type adjusters but am interested in going to something more high tech.

I have been mulling over going with Sta/Master adjusters (or another type of turnbuckle) because of they can be have a really wide range of adjustment and it is easy to tighten them for different conditions.

Then I have been looking at the Johnson Quick release levers. These have a real advantage in that you can detension your rig after a capsize to give you some extra leverage to right your boat. Then you can retension the rig very easly. The one disadvantage that I can see is that there are only 3 pin settings for adjustments.

What is you opinion on these types of systems? Would you use the Johnson Quick release's along with a normal pin adjuster to get more adjustment ability? Are there other options that I'm not aware of.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • My opinion - Go with the standard 'stock' type adjusters and get the little rubber covers so they look clean and work fine.

Then spend the money you save on the running rigging...I deal with it much more than the standing rigging, but I have mast-up storage.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • i have the standard adjuster up front and so hardly ever adjust rake and so don7t really know what it does on my boat

on the weta the forestay adjuster is simply a length of line looped through both eyes about 4 times and then cloded off with 4 or 5 half-hitches

seems very easy to adjust and tension and i like the less is more approach so i might also try it on the nacra next season.......i'll need to get top quality line and replace it every few years but 1 or 2 mtrs of spectra isn't going to break the bank

johnston QR also called hyfield? levers and shroud extenders. are used on supercats and some hobies, check murrays catalog for the hobie version
  • if you dont have a captive ball,.. you need to figure out how to keep the mast on the ball if you use shroud extneders.
  • Andrew,
    That's a good point, although my understanding is the the amount that undoing one of the hyfield levers loosens the shroud isn't enough to demast a non-captive ball mast (only about 3 inches). Hobie sells the same system for all of thier boats. That being said, I haven't had a lot of problems righting my cat so I'm leaning towards the turnbuckle type Sta/Master adjusters. I haven't been happy with the amount of tension that I can put on with the stock adjusters.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • i am not sure what your purpose is here.. tighter shrouds? this should be easy to do with any standard adjusters...
  • Any new feedback on using C.S. Johnson Quick Release Levers on ball masted cats? Have issues right Prindle 19 if sailing with lighter partners . Wondering if the extra 3 inches release make a difference when righting boat .
  • Wolfman, The Johnson QR levers have three holes but you can use a flat plate inside the upper. Kinda like a hobie furler. If you shorten your shroud you can take full advantage of its adjustment. I have used these on Hunter 140's.

I have had sta-masters on a Vanguard 15. Super cool way to finely tune a rig without dropping a pin. You have to carry a wrench and some silicone lube for adjusting between races.

Neither of which have I had on a cat. Good luck.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I got Sta/Masters on the first Blade I bought. They were the top of my Christmas list to put on the new Blade I bought at the end of last season. There will be a set for the Tiger as well (if I can keep my wife from forcing me to sell it). They are great and now wouldn't use anything else on the shrouds.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Emmet, we have several Prindles at the club with these QR extenders, including a couple P18-2s (essentially the same setup as the P19). I've not needed to use it yet on our boat, but I would suggest adding them to your righting tool kit.

You'll find them handy for easily adjusting the forestay tension and mast rake.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.