Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

DIY boat covers  Bottom

• Has anyone tried successfully to create a custom cut tarpaulin cover for their boat? She sits on the side of my house and would like to keep the sun off. I remove all rigging as a standard practice. How well does it hold up and do you find that all it does is trap moisture? Other solutions?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • I should add I have previously just run a tarp over the mast like a tipi. Worked fine enough to protect the tramp, but I was hoping to protect the topsides as well. That and the cats tend to think that the tipi is their own personal cabana. I was hoping that by stretching a custom cut tarp over the whole thing I would discourage them from jumping up there.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • "Has anyone tried successfully to create a custom cut tarpaulin cover for their boat? She sits on the side of my house and would like to keep the sun off. I remove all rigging as a standard practice. How well does it hold up and do you find that all it does is trap moisture? Other solutions?"

I live on the face of the sun (florida) - tarps don't last through the summer - unless you get a $120+ one, and that lasts 2 summers max. to spend the time sewing up a tarp for a cat is futile unless you are a professional (around here at least). they make professional ones that will last a lot longer

I buy a 12x20 (or 16x24 for my cat with wings) and cover the entire cat with it (over the mast as you mention above) - cats do love it (and going inside the hulls if the hatch is open)

you could put 2 tarps on the boat. one over top to protect the entire thing and a smaller one just over the tramp area to keep cat hair/poop/etc off

I would NOT remove the rigging (neither standing nor running). it is a huge waste of time and adds greatly to rigging time. just cover it with a tarp
  • MN3"Has anyone tried successfully to create a custom cut tarpaulin cover for their boat? She sits on the side of my house and would like to keep the sun off. I remove all rigging as a standard practice. How well does it hold up and do you find that all it does is trap moisture? Other solutions?"

I live on the face of the sun (florida) - tarps don't last through the summer - unless you get a $120+ one, and that lasts 2 summers max. to spend the time sewing up a tarp for a cat is futile unless you are a professional (around here at least). they make professional ones that will last a lot longer

I buy a 12x20 (or 16x24 for my cat with wings) and cover the entire cat with it (over the mast as you mention above) - cats do love it (and going inside the hulls if the hatch is open)

you could put 2 tarps on the boat. one over top to protect the entire thing and a smaller one just over the tramp area to keep cat hair/poop/etc off

I would NOT remove the rigging (neither standing nor running). it is a huge waste of time and adds greatly to rigging time. just cover it with a tarp

Live in South Texas, only a hair cooler than Florida.
    I learned while letting the boat air out that the cat would actually jump down into the hull. icon_eek We've already accidentally locked her up in the RV, only realizing a few days later when she didn't come home. 8 Lives remaining. Now I apparently have to check my hulls. icon_rolleyes
    The two tarp idea is a solid one. I may go that route. Thanks!
    I've already pulled all the rigging. (Habit from F18) I find that pulling it allows three things to happen.
    1-You get to inspect each piece before and after use.
    2-You get to avoid the kinks and knots that inevitably drive you nuts.
    3-I believe it helps extend service life.
    I hear you on rig time though.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • 100% agree - removing and cleaning and inspecting will extend it's life and provide a greater chance of finding an issue
    as per the cat in the hatch ... perhaps get a pet wolf, badger or similar and keep it under the tarp for any cats that want to "play"?

i took old hatch covers and drilled a 2" hole in it. attached a pvc u with a small straight pvc pipe (that connects the u to the hatch-cover), covered the open end with some patio screening so bugs can't get in. this will allow ventilation and keep critters out
  • MN3100% agree - removing and cleaning and inspecting will extend it's life and provide a greater chance of finding an issue
    as per the cat in the hatch ... perhaps get a pet wolf, badger or similar and keep it under the tarp for any cats that want to "play"?

i took old hatch covers and drilled a 2" hole in it. attached a pvc u with a small straight pvc pipe (that connects the u to the hatch-cover), covered the open end with some patio screening so bugs can't get in. this will allow ventilation and keep critters out

My Rottweiler is part of the reason they get up there to begin with...
    The custom hatch covers is on my to do. Have to order a set though.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • I bought a boat cover for a pontoon boat. I put it on over the mast when on the trailer and it covers the whole boat and sheds water well due to being draped over the mast. Going strong three years later in the southern calif. sun!... and it was cheap, about $30.00 on ebay.
  • calntvsI bought a boat cover for a pontoon boat. I put it on over the mast when on the trailer and it covers the whole boat and sheds water well due to being draped over the mast. Going strong three years later in the southern calif. sun!... and it was cheap, about $30.00 on ebay.

Link?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • I just bought a new Getaway and only been out once. I will need to have a cover also. I was planning on a tarp over the mast on the trailer. Has anyone had trouble with this way? On my old Prindle 18 I just covered the tramp but on the Getaway I would like to cover the whole boat and trailer. icon_confused

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • I've heard of (but never tried myself) making a cover out of used billboard vinyl from a place like this:
    https://billboardtarps.co…yl/billboard-vinyl-9-oz/
    They seem inexpensive for a UV protected, waterproof material so it sure seems worth a try. I'm thinking they could be cut and glued (pvc pipe glue?) where desired for fit and/or reinforcement. Grommets are easy enough to DIY as well. Anybody have experience with this?

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Jerome, That's a great idea. Thanks for the heads up.

--
    Larry
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • larryhtsJerome, That's a great idea. Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome! If you decide to try it, please let us know how it works out.

As MN3 posted, the biggest problem with cheap tarps is that they don't hold up to the sun. Also, if not fitted snugly (which can be difficult) they flog in the wind and/or hold rainwater. If I were to attempt the used billboard idea, I would try to cut/glue for a snug fit and limit places it has to be tied/bungied (PITA factor)...maybe glue a pocket around the edges with shock cord inside?

I can offer no solution to the cat problems mentioned above. Once when working on my house siding, I had to remove everything down to the studs in one area. I had already replaced the rotted sheathing, installed the hose wrap, and was about to go up with the Hardy Plank. That's when I realized my cat had crept into the plumbing chase inside the walls. Nine lives hell, this thing is immortal...some king of deal with the devil?.....vampire cat maybe?

Edited by rattlenhum on Mar 20, 2019 - 07:47 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • [quote=rattlenhum]
    larryhts
    Nine lives hell, this thing is immortal...some king of deal with the devil?.....vampire cat maybe?Edited by rattlenhum on Mar 20, 2019 - 07:47 AM.

They say evil lives forever. I’m inclined to believe it now...

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Quotei took old hatch covers and drilled a 2" hole in it. attached a pvc u with a small straight pvc pipe (that connects the u to the hatch-cover), covered the open end with some patio screening so bugs can't get in. this will allow ventilation and keep critters out

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131042&g2_serialNumber=3

the p-trap is to keep rain out (not really an issue in their current position)
    i have other ones where i just drilled holes and glued patio screen on top of it
  • QuoteI can offer no solution to the cat problems mentioned above. Once when working on my house siding, I had to remove everything down to the studs in one area. I had already replaced the rotted sheathing, installed the hose wrap, and was about to go up with the Hardy Plank. That's when I realized my cat had crept into the plumbing chase inside the walls. Nine lives hell, this thing is immortal...some king of deal with the devil?.....vampire cat maybe?

Reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe's The Black Cat - it's a short but crazy story
    https://poestories.com/read/blackcat
  • calntvsI bought a boat cover for a pontoon boat. I put it on over the mast when on the trailer and it covers the whole boat and sheds water well due to being draped over the mast. Going strong three years later in the southern calif. sun!... and it was cheap, about $30.00 on ebay.

Calntvs, I like that Idea a lot. I'll look into getting one. I would think they would come with reinforced bands where the strap rings are and would be stronger than a anything I could make. Thanks for the idea.
    Larry

--
    Larry
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • The choices based on this thread are good ones, based on your location/climate:

HD waterproof pontoon boat cover $50 no shipping
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/…wxphbAkPf&frcectupt=true

One-piece 11 mil vinyl tarp needing grommets or other restraint, black on one side and an ad on the other:
    $50 total ($27 + $23 shipping)
    https://billboardtarps.co…eeves-11-mil-0-09-sq-ft/

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • A couple Big rubber snakes on tramp and mast spreaders seem to keep cats and critters at bay. So too does strung up disposable pie plates FWIW.

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.