Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New guy here! My summer advetures and another shipwrecked story!  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello! My name is Brian i am new to this site, and fairly new to sailing... Ever since i saw the movie Water World i have wanted a multi-hull boat. I knew nothing of sailing but with some luck and perhaps a bit of fate i became good friends with a guy who happened to have a house on a lake, several small sail boats, and a long sailing history. With the help of my friend, and after sailing on his old Hobie 18 a couple times i decided i wanted an 18 ft cat too. After searching classifieds for awhile i found a lonely SolCat in need of a good home. i purchased it for $600 and towed her home.
    http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs046.snc3/13332_199853390922_714965922_4407320_597761_n.jpg
    I named her Venora (scottish for "white wave") In just one and a half summers i have already learned some valuable lessons... Anxious to get my new boat in the water my friend and i rushed to raise the mast and get her in the water while we still had some light... after dropping and denting the mast once i found out that it was much easier to raise the mast with 3 or more people. Lesson learned. I got her in the water, rigged, and ready to go the next day. I left her moored out in the lake at my friend's house. A couple days later the boat was under water.
    http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs066.snc3/13332_199853375922_714965922_4407318_7060921_n.jpg
    Apparently she had some leaks. So that ended the season. I didnt even get to sail her. lesson learned: check for leaks BEFORE you leave it moored over a couple days.
    This summer gave me the chance to really sail her a lot more. The summer started with quite a few cracks on the head from the boom. Lesson learned: duck when jibing. I also found myself stranded in the middle of the lake with no wind on more than one occasion. lesson learned: bring a paddle (or 2). eventually i decided i was experienced enough to bring her in the ocean. icon_rolleyes We decided to go out into Casco Bay, Maine to spend the night on an island about 7 miles out called Jewell Island. There were 5 of us between a small 14 ft dinghy and my cat. There was a small craft advisory that day, so we waited a little while till noon for the waves and wind to subside before we left. We got halfway there and the wind that was once too strong to sail in went away completely. We got to the island around midnight. In the pitch black, with nothing but a weak flashlight, we blindly followed an old GPS track that i had from a trip we made to the island in a motor boat the previous year. surrounded by jagged rocks there was little margin for error. It was so dark we couldnt see the land 10 ft in front of us... but we could certainly hear the waves breaking and crashing on the rocks all around us... it was slightly horrifying. My friend Jeff was so nervous he threw up. We followed the GPS track with unwavering faith, until CRASH we hit some rocks. Luckily the wind was so light we were moving slow enough that no damage occured. We landed 10 ft (approx. the margin of error on a my old gps) from our target. lesson learned: leave earlier in the day (and bring better lights) the tide was pretty low so we lugged the boats up the beach to the high tide mark and tied them off.
    http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs066.snc3/13332_199871885922_714965922_4407402_2533270_n.jpg
    At some point that night i decided to check on the boats, only to find that the tide that night happened to be a "spring tide" -an unusually high tide. the waves were beating the heck out of the boats, the little mooring lines stressed to the max, and the 14 ft boat filling with water as the waves crashed over the transom. We all scrambles to push the boats up another 10-15 ft. What a night. lesson learned: check the tides before going out over night on the ocean! The next day we packed camp and left around 5 pm (admittedly a little late) No wind. No wind at all. we paddled for hours and hours. At one point the tide was pushing us back out to sea faster than we could paddle forward. After 10+ hours we managed to make it back to the mainland, only to find out that the coast guard had been out looking for us for several hours now. Lesson learned: bring a backup motor. We got home, and while de-rigging the boat, found that both shroud wires were broken, and were hanging on by just a strand or 2 of corroded wire... luckily we had no wind in Casco Bay or we would have lost the mast! Lesson learned... ALWAYS inspect your rigging! After this experience we decided to stick to smaller day trips. which is what we did. About a month later we took Venora out again. This time we were going to sail from Rye harbor, NH to Portsmouth harbor, NH. We had a beautiful clear day with a steady breeze and 2 foot seas. We had sailed out of this harbor twice already in the past few weeks, so we were pretty confident. We had 5 people on the boat, which may seem over loaded, but they were all light weights, and besides, the conditions were perfect! icon_rolleyes Around noon we made it to our destination: an abandoned coast guard station and light house on Wood Island at the mouth of the harbor.
    http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs156.snc1/5808_145397685922_714965922_3767364_6380898_n.jpg
    http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs156.snc1/5808_145397645922_714965922_3767359_2519436_n.jpg
    We ate lunch, explored the island, and then departed after a couple hours. We quickly accelerated to about 6-7 knots, and as we scooted passed the whaleback lighhouse WHAM! with violent crunching sounds the boat stopped in an instant, as my friend and i went flying off the front into the water. At first i thought we hit a lobster buoy and the crunching i heard was the buoy getting destroyed. I quickly realized my mistake when i climbed back on board and saw massive air bubbles and water gushing up through the starboard dagger board casing. About a minute later the starboard hull was underwater. The five us clung to the port hull, causing it to sit almost under water as well, All the while trying to steer the crippled boat away from a jagged outcropping of rocks. i reached down to feel the damage... my hand went through the hull. There was a gaping hole in my boat! The dagger board was pitched at a very strange angle and was stuck in place. Air continued to gush out and the hull sank deeper. We tried to get under way but the crippled hull was leeward, so whenever we picked up wind it would push the starboard hull 3 ft under water almost to the point of capsize. Getting under way was not an option. So we broke out the paddles and started paddling furiously for the nearest mainland beach, about a half a mile away. Acting now as a sea anchor, the tide and the current from the river pushed us all over, and paddling was futile. We were at the mercy of the currents. The boat seemed to have stopped sinking for the moment... a few weeks earlier we decided it would be wise to add floatation to both hulls by sliding in those colorful pool "noodles" through the porthole. About 40 of them, 20 in each hull. It proved to be just barley enough to keep us afloat, but it worked. Best $20 i ever spent. We also added a home-made mast float while we were at it... luckily i haven't needed it yet... We drifted out into the harbor where there was some heavier boat traffic. Despite our plight several people passed by with nothing but strange looks. Finally a kind man in a motor boat stopped and asked us if we needed help. He then towed us to the nearest beach... New Castle beach. Not wanting to get his boat close to shore he released us slightly off shore from the beach. We all jumped in and swam the boat the rest of the way. Being a beautiful warm day the beach was crowded with sun bathers and swimmers. We got some really interesting looks that's for sure! After beaching the boat, we assessed the damage: the dagger board hit a rock and was forced back tearing through the dagger board casing and tearing a huge hole in the side. We decided we could not go anywhere, so we called my friend's dad who picked us up and gave us a ride to my truck/ trailer.
    http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs136.snc1/5808_145405820922_714965922_3767624_6155159_n.jpg
    We then de-rigged the crippled Venora on the beach and walked it over our shoulders about a quarter mile to the parking lot.
    http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs136.snc1/5808_145405830922_714965922_3767626_1568596_n.jpg
    What an adventure. I guess not many people can say they got shipwreked and had to swim to shore icon_smile Lesson learned: bring/study nautical charts! upon further investigation we found that the whaleback lighthouse is situated on whaleback reef... just a few feet under the water at slack tide. The last inch of the starboard dagger board hit a rock causing all the damage. A week later i finished repairing it and had it back in the water where i flew a hull for the first time! icon_smile I love this boat and look forward to more adventures next summer!
    http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs190.snc1/6368_148429150922_714965922_3816481_5360152_n.jpg
    http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs170.snc1/6368_148429190922_714965922_3816487_3038562_n.jpg
    http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs190.snc1/6368_148429205922_714965922_3816489_2917212_n.jpg

Thanks for reading!
    -Brian

edited by: Venora, Nov 06, 2009 - 05:00 PM

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • sorry, doesnt look like the pictures worked icon_confused

-Brian

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Venorasorry, doesnt look like the pictures worked icon_confused
    -Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the story, I thought maybe Facebook was blocking hotlinking, but I see the problem, you used the url's for the page the photo was on, not the url for the actual picture.

If you go to your pictures using Firefox and right click on the picture itself, then choose "copy image location" and then paste the url in place of the one you used before it will work. (i did the first one for you.)

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • thanks! i am not all that computer savvy!

-Brian

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • great pics

scary stories

we are born with a full container of luck

and an empty container for experience

as we go through life we fill up with experience

but use up our luck

the trick is to fill up with experience

before running out of luck icon_razz

• haha, nice quote i love it.

-Brian

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Hey, not a bad repair job for a newbie. I hope I can do as good a repair on my cat when the time comesl

Turbo
  • Brian.... Thats a heck of a way of 'lessons learned' glad everyone is ok.... What ya gonna name yer boat? ''HAPPENING''

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I love the words "Apparently she had some leaks" right under the second picture. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • popeyez7Brian.... Thats a heck of a way of 'lessons learned' glad everyone is ok.... What ya gonna name yer boat? ''HAPPENING''

Maybe Submarine would be appropriate.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • damonAdminI love the words "Apparently she had some leaks" right under the second picture. icon_lol

same here, hilarious

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • haha, yeah i guess it is funny now that i look back on it icon_lol

i named her "Venora" but yeah, "submarine" would be fitting. My other sailboat, a 14 foot dinghy, also sank in shallow water the day i got it. I named her "Arandora" after the "Arandora Star" a luxury ww2 era cruise ship sunk by a German torpedo... I thought it was fitting.

Thanks about the repair job! I've had a little bit of fiberglassing experience, and i had my friend there to help me.

-Brian

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • submarie sounds appropriate

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Hey Brian, Great story, thanks for sharing it with us! I bet you are really glad you bought a cheap used boat. You'd be sick if you'd went out and dropped some serious cash for something newer. I have two older inexpensive cats. I'm sure glad that I do, because the learning curve is steep. I now feel ready to make a fancy purchase.

These are "lifetime" experiences. You'll never forget them in a lifetime. icon_biggrin
  • Wow, great stories and a great repair! You have experienced and survived quite a few of the things that I have been worried about. Nice to know that you can get through them and still have a great attitude! I'm not sure I would have any friends left after that. :)

Keep on trucking, that cat has been through too much to let you down!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • NEVER rename your boat without a proper renaming ceremony. I think you angered Neptune.

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
  • hmmm... i think you may be on to something. I will have to look into that re-naming ceremony, although i dont think it has ever had a name before i had got her...

-Brian

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Wow!
  • Few years back a non sailing friend who has watched/experienced, very carefully it seems, our misadventures, rattled off a detailed list of all the stupid stuff he's witnessed or had relayed to him from our 20's/early thirties relating to this sport and three if us who owned cats, I'm the only one still sailing. It was quite a list! Nice job on that repair and great pics. I need to rename my cat. Chaos II just ain't good karma. I'll check out that link.
  • Officially naming or not. To Neptune a name is a name. How many times have you said "come on baby, faster". Neptune entered in his book your boats name as s/v Baby. I guess having come from the world of monohulls, I developed the standard list of sailing superstitions.

http://www.pacificoffshorerigging.com/nautical_superstitions.htm

To Neptune if its on the water, its his. Just cause cats are faster, doesnt mean you can out sail misfortune.

And, what can it hurt. One bottle of champaign to un name, and one to name it a new. At least you will enjoy it. :)

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.