Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cold Weather Sailing  Bottom

• I'm in Oklahoma, and we get enough warm weather that cats aren't sailing once it gets cold. I had a short season this year, though, and would like to sail some in the colder weather. I'm looking for some tips from you cold weather guys. What gear do you wear/use to survive the cold air and water? Any tips at all are appreciated. I don't think my shorty/raincoat combo will get the job done at this point.

Thanks

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • for reasonably cold

2mm neoprene, ankle to wrist surfers wetsuit with a spray jacket on top and a hat of some sort

2mm neoprene sailing boots and gloves

i don't sail in temps colder than that but those that need better gear than that start using dry-suits

• I use a 2mm farmer john suit (long legs, no arms) with a good spray top, and 3mm booties. I use them when conditions for flipping are very unlikely and when the water is moderate with cool air temps. I also have a full length 3mm suit I will wear with my spray top if there is concern of going in the water, or as the water temp gets colder.

I like the farmer john since it isn't tight around your neck or constrict your arms. I find myself wearing it on cool days in the summer on Lake Michigan I would never wear my full length because of comfort.

I agree with Eric, beyond that I would recommend a dry-suit.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.