Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Waterproof MP3 Player Pouch  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I know this isn't a product review site or anything, but since we all have the exact same use for one: Anybody have any opinions on waterproof pouches for MP3 players - specifically the ones w/ the headphone jack built in? Normally I'd just buy one, but since most of the ones I've seen online are fairly expensive I'd like to know what other people use.

Thanks

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • check out Rock-Water Tunes from Grind Water Sports
    http://www.grindwater.com/

I've tried it out on my Hobie 16 and it works pretty well.
    The only time that I couldn't hear the speakers was when I was upwind of the unit and it was blowing dogs of chains
  • Looks like that Grind Water case is a brand labeled case from someone else. I have the same thing and got it off amazon.com. The self powered speakers are nice, but when it is windy it is hard to hear. But those are the times when I don't need music on the boat icon_smile

I have also earbud headphones for my ipod shuffle that hold the shuffle on the back of your head, use it primarily for running but plan on using it on the boat when I go out solo. Brand is Arriva.

http://www.arriva/.com

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i have owned waterproof ipod cases and waterproof earplugs that came with the case. the case was only $25(if i recall).

it was neat to be able to swim with them on

BUT the earplug cable was ALWAYS in the way (when sailing).

Also the sound quality was pretty bad in the waterproof earplugs.

Lastly.. i would NOT advise ear plugs if there is any boat traffic. they did a fair job of making it impossible to hear things around you.. (DANGEROUS)

Currently i use a Ihome radio in a dry bag.. works best

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v5207/239/23/530203601/n530203601_2383303_4666039.jpg
  • I spotted Rock Water while waiting to see my Ortho Surgeon and paging through a Water Skiing magazine.
    Contacted Grind Water and told them I had an interest in the product and the possibility of selling it where I work.
    Before I knew what happened they sent me a unit for free to evaluate and try out.

Everyone I've shown it to or let borrow it, wants one.

Now if I could get the boss on board with the idea we might start selling them.

• thanks for all the info guys. I'm actually looking for something that works w/ any mp3 player - not ipod specific. I have a waterproof radio similar to Andrew's that would work...hmm speaking of radio, does the mast help get a signal when far from civilization?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • http://www.pelicancasesto…roduct_ID=12&ParentCat=7

easy solution

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Rock Water and those of the same rendtion will work with an MP3
  • ghhm43http://www.pelicancasesto…roduct_ID=12&ParentCat=7
    easy solution

GREAT FOR RUGGED SPORTS - NOT FOR SWIMMING OR SUBMERGING
    Doesnt come with earphones.. your earbuds wont last more with all that moisture..
  • Quote...hmm speaking of radio, does the mast help get a signal when far from civilization?

If your radio antena is attached to the mast.. then yes. on my previous radio, i had a wire that i would leave out the top of the bag and attach it to my boom for better reception.
  • http://h2oaudio.com/waterproof_headphones.php

wrong andrew!!!

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • ghhm43http://h2oaudio.com/waterproof_headphones.php

wrong andrew!!!

i hope you enjoyed calling me wrong... but how am i wrong? ....

those are $60 and do not come with the i1010 iPod Pelican Case that you recommended...

And I KNOW FOR FACT that earbuds will rust and degrade with moisture...

so for the low cost of $75 (plus shipping) you can get a semi water resistant case and expensive waterproof earplugs.. thats swell.. i paid $25 for mine and as i stated above.. i wouldn't really recommend it

Similar (but not exactly) like these -
    http://store.catsailor.co…uct=16419&idcategory=140

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 27, 2009 - 10:45 AM
  • QuoteI know this isn't a product review site or anything, but since we all have the exact same use for one: Anybody have any opinions on waterproof pouches for MP3 players - specifically the ones w/ the headphone jack built in?

where does rob "yurdle" ask about earbuds?

pretty much they are disposable anyway - I haven't had a pair long enough to rust yet - we just buy new ones.

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Quote where does rob "yurdle" ask about earbuds?

he didn't. he asked for " opinions on waterproof pouches " which i gave.

YOU are the one who provided a "EASY SOLUTION"
    a water resistant (not waterproof) case with no headphones.

when i pointed out it had no headphones (and earbuds would not last) YOU provided a link to expensive waterproof headphones.

if i am wrong, i have no problems saying it... YOU are the one who seems to want to prove me wrong... so prove me wrong....

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 27, 2009 - 11:52 AM
  • Not wanting to argue - you stated that the earbuds would not last with all that moisture. I provided a solution

Rob asked about a case - which we both offered solutions

we sail cats not submarines. plastic pouches don't last as long as it takes for your earbudes to rust icon_biggrin

so sorry for using the word "wrong" not harm intended

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • ALSO WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME? icon_biggrin

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • QuoteALSO WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?

WAS I ?? hahah.. no harm no foul...
    yea sometime i revel in a pissing match... no hard feelings.
  • So the Rock Water will work with any MP3 player? It's really difficult to tell from their web site.

I was looking at a unit that looked very similar (not the same brand) at a local hot tub store and it seemed to indicate that it would only work with certain IPODs. Basically anything but the IPOD Touch (which sucks because that is my only Apple MP3 player).

Anyway I was also thinking of getting a Waterproof MP3 Player but am not excited about not being able to hear around me. That and my crew (wife) would think it rude to listen to my MP3 player while sailing with her. It would however solve some problems... :)

Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • had a lengthy reply typed out. browser ate it. liquor store closes in 7 minutes.

Thanks VERY much for all the info guys.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • ahh...

Anyway,

What I had in mind was something like the link to catsailor that andrew posted...the simplest of those designs used to be very common, and now I've been having a little trouble locating one. I was hoping for something more like $15 than $30, though. I like that hard case Gordon posted as it looks like it would work perfect w/ a newer model Sansa and have some room to spare, but I can't tell for sure where it connects. I'm not worried about how long it can stay submerged...its not like I ever flip over. =)

The earbuds are a non-issue for me. A few years ago I bought a bag of'm from Hong Kong...got tons of them for $1 apiece. I'm ready for them all to meet their demise as they kinda suck, so a watery or oxidized grave sounds fine.

Wolfman, I think ALL of the companies selling accessories like that use ipod and mp3 player interchangably, without stating how they actually make the connection to the device. Drives me crazy, but I suppose that's my problem. Anyway, its always tough to tell exactly what they're selling. Sadly most of the buyers don't know exactly what they have either..

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.