Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

sail storage  Bottom

• not been looking forward to this post:
    when putting sails away for winter storage do you recc taking out battens? If so is there a handy guide to tie that knot at the end of the batten again next season?

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • I always have stored the sails with battens in the sail. I would recommend loosening the batten tension for the winter if you don't regularly.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • same...untie knots. The hobie guide book tells you how to retie battens. Also Hobie sells a cool device that is a "screw" tension adjustment, so you do not to tie knots anymore. I don't think that are very expensive at all either.
  • I've collected several diagrams for tying sail battens. The method depends on what type batten caps you have.

Check the Technical Album here
    Batten Tying Methods

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • thanks Mates that will do it

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • damonAdminI've collected several diagrams for tying sail battens. The method depends on what type batten caps you have.

Check the Technical Album here
    Batten Tying Methods

nice link, thanks.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • just to clearify...
    it is best to release batten tension after every sail... this can extend the life of your sail/batten pockets slightly....

BUT its such a pain, adds time to your set up, and will only prolong the inevitable (stretch sails, loose batten pockets, etc) that its just a trade off... less rig time/ vs wearing out my sails 10% faster.....

I prefer less rig time... as i sail so often, i need new sails regardless..

Also, it makes for good practice to really know how / why to adjust batten tension. this is kind of important and can improve your sailing if you adjust for wind/wave conditions... but the same can be said.. rig time vs, on water time...

i have owned my Mystere for 2 years now (almost) and gone through 3 jibs and 2 mains and 2 spins... i am in need of all 3 replaced again.

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 14, 2009 - 11:29 AM
  • andrewscotti have owned my Mystere for 2 years now (almost) and gone through 3 jibs and 2 mains and 2 spins... i am in need of all 3 replaced again.edited by: andrewscott, Oct 14, 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sound like you are sailing to much, better cut back a little icon_wink You know even to much of a good thing, can be a bad thing.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.