sail storage

not been looking forward to this post:
when putting sails away for winter storage do you recc taking out battens? If so is there a handy guide to tie that knot at the end of the batten again next season?

--
eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
Hobie 16 (restored)
Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
--
I always have stored the sails with battens in the sail. I would recommend loosening the batten tension for the winter if you don't regularly.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
same...untie knots. The hobie guide book tells you how to retie battens. Also Hobie sells a cool device that is a "screw" tension adjustment, so you do not to tie knots anymore. I don't think that are very expensive at all either.
I've collected several diagrams for tying sail battens. The method depends on what type batten caps you have.

Check the Technical Album here
Batten Tying Methods

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
thanks Mates that will do it

--
eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
Hobie 16 (restored)
Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
--
damonAdminI've collected several diagrams for tying sail battens. The method depends on what type batten caps you have.

Check the Technical Album here
Batten Tying Methods

nice link, thanks.

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
just to clearify...
it is best to release batten tension after every sail... this can extend the life of your sail/batten pockets slightly....

BUT its such a pain, adds time to your set up, and will only prolong the inevitable (stretch sails, loose batten pockets, etc) that its just a trade off... less rig time/ vs wearing out my sails 10% faster.....

I prefer less rig time... as i sail so often, i need new sails regardless..

Also, it makes for good practice to really know how / why to adjust batten tension. this is kind of important and can improve your sailing if you adjust for wind/wave conditions... but the same can be said.. rig time vs, on water time...

i have owned my Mystere for 2 years now (almost) and gone through 3 jibs and 2 mains and 2 spins... i am in need of all 3 replaced again.

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 14, 2009 - 11:29 AM
andrewscotti have owned my Mystere for 2 years now (almost) and gone through 3 jibs and 2 mains and 2 spins... i am in need of all 3 replaced again.edited by: andrewscott, Oct 14, 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sound like you are sailing to much, better cut back a little icon_wink You know even to much of a good thing, can be a bad thing.

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--