Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best Price on Quality Trailer Tires?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I find myself needing a couple of trailer tires after having a blowout coming back from the Juana regatta.

I need 4.80 x 12 size, and would rather go with the load range C instead of B for the small price difference.

I found these folks at Rocky Mountain Offroad who have the Carlisle tires for $34 plus $7 shipping and no tax.

Can anyone find a better deal on that tire?

I don't think I'll get anymore miles out of this one.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • That tire still has a lot of miles left. Philip uses them till they look like this. icon_lol

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18379&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=168ede170be56c44bf58c105d0e6c3d0
  • ROFLMAO!

--
    Philip
    --
  • try Harbor Freight, $30 for the wheel and tire.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44143

Jeff O

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • So i know a lot of these small trailer tires I know are only recommended up to maybe 55 MPH. I'm curious how many of you actually stick to that?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • QuarathSo i know a lot of these small trailer tires I know are only recommended up to maybe 55 MPH. I'm curious how many of you actually stick to that?

I've never heard that, only a load limit. That tire had at least 25,000 miles on it and was looking a little thin on the tread, I was planning on replacing them over the winter.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • ohmsjtry Harbor Freight, $30 for the wheel and tire.

Thanks, but that ones too little, need 4.80 x 12, and is extremely light-duty rated less than B (only 2-ply) for spare tire use. I make a lot of 1,000 miles weekends and want quality rubber, it's no fun to change a tire on the highway in a pouring rain after driving 400 miles, I promise you.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Don't forget to check the wheel bearings. Thanksfully I haven't had a tire blow out, but have had wheel bearings start to go bad on me. Having good rubber on the trailer tires sure make 1000 miles trips sound better.

edited by: smfinley, Sep 18, 2009 - 01:28 PM

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • damonAdminI find myself needing a couple of trailer tires after having a blowout coming back from the Juana regatta.

I think you can buff that out!
  • andrewscottI think you can buff that out!

Yeah, but that'll only get you to the next service station. Now, wrap a bunch of duct tape around that thing and your good for a couple hundred miles!
  • Quotehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44143

QuoteQuarath

So I know a lot of these small trailer tires I know are only recommended up to maybe 55 MPH. I'm curious how many of you actually stick to that?

I've never heard that, only a load limit. That tire had at least 25,000 miles on it and was looking a little thin on the tread, I was planning on replacing them over the winter.

--
    Damon Linkous
    Owner, TheBeachcats.com
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Memphis, TN
    --

Mine are the 5 lug 12" variety I think this one at Harbor and says 55 mph so I was wondering. Plus I had heard something about it earlier but forget where.
    http://www.harborfreight.…tem.taf?itemnumber=92469

edited by: Quarath, Sep 18, 2009 - 04:18 PM

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Got to love Harbor Freight. The tire is rated for "55 MPR"
    Interesting choice for the abbreiviation, maybe it means....

MPR: miles per repair?
    MPR: miles per revolution (really big tire)?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I was looking at the 12" tires with rims at Walmart for $60. Didn't notice the load range tho'.
  • I didn't even catch that MPR lol

I have looked at the Wal-Mart ones too they look exactly the same as mine.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Perhaps you should not be looking for the cheapest tire.... looks like you already have experienced it.
  • DeepseesPerhaps you should not be looking for the cheapest tire.... looks like you already have experienced it.

Good point, I've changed the thread title. If you read my first post I did mention I was looking for the best price available on the higher quality "load range c" tires.

But since most of the responses were talking about strictly the cheapest price, I obviously wasn't clear what I wanted.

Maybe I should change the title to

"Please help me find the best price possible for two replacement trailer tires in size 4.80 x 12 in load range C, I prefer a name brand like the Carlisle Sport Trail ST (special trailer)."

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteMaybe I should change the title to

"Please help me find the best price possible for two replacement trailer tires in size 4.80 x 12 in load range C, I prefer a name brand like the Carlisle Sport Trail ST (special trailer).

Such sarcasm ... tisk tisk.. i hope i am not rubbing off on you!

haha, just kidding.
  • I bought some replacement tires about 2 months ago at my local Northern Tool store. They were $19.99 but I think are listed as $34.99 on the website, not sure if the sale is still going on.
  • Actually... in the many flats I have had, seems there are no really reliable tires out there. Something I have leaned to do with carrying spares.... is to carry the entire assembly.... hub and bearings and change the complete assembly. Instead of taking off four or five lugs,, one big nut and a cotter pin.

There are no durable bearings where salt water is concerned either. I have even looked into ceramic bearings... way expensive.

I did not mean to sound condescending... lord knows I have had lots of trailer flats...sometimes two at a time on one side.

• Which brings up some maintainence (sp) that we all need to pay attention to. I am certainly prone to not pay attention to any possible problems...until they have already happened.
    Proper wheel maint. would be to take your hubs off and regrease the brg.s once a year. These trailer tires are spinning way faster than your truck tires are because of these small size. Therefore, they should have grease pushed in more often.
    Also, the speed rating on the tires is important. More speed causes more heat and the speed rating on the side of the tire can also be interpreted as a heat rating. Proper inflation is very important as well.

The rear of the stub axle is sealed by the seal on it....putting a very small amount of silicone on the outside of the axle's cap can help keep the water out.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.