Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1980 H18 rudders won't unlock  Bottom

• I bought a used H18 and have only had it out a handful of times and now the rudders won't kick up - at all. Do I need to rebuild the release mechanisms or just adjust the spring tension?
  • If they are the newer type (Plastic cam) most likely they are just dry...

a squirt of silicone lube (the cheap pump kind) on the cam and the round tension ball (actually the top of the adjuster) should fix it.

if the cams are beat up (scratched badly) a replacement kit is available.

a great tip / tool is to purchase the hobie tool ($10?), if you drill small holes in your cams... the tool can be used to easily flip back down a cam that has accidentally gone up (engaged)... they can be a bear to get down without the tool... the tool can be carried onboard and if you are good... (not in the santa way) you can even re-set your cams while sailing (if they pop up)

I would NOT try to adjust the tention screws unless you know you can get a replacement.. they LOVE to seize up in there and break off when you try to turn them

edited by: andrewscott, Sep 03, 2009 - 09:01 AM
  • If you have they old style rudder system,they were not made to kick up when hitting the beach, you have to lift the tiller connector bar before beaching. You will have to upgrade to the newer system if you want them to kick up on contact. There is a system that a member has posted on this site that may work for you, I think it is in the tech section.
  • Tech help gallery page 3 shows the photos
  • QuoteIf you have they old style rudder system,they were not made to kick up when hitting the beach, you have to lift the tiller connector bar before beaching

Thats right.. i forgot the older ones have a metal cam that doesn't pop... i have amended my post
  • It seems the spring in each was not lining up with the cam properly and binding up on the edge of the hole the spring sits in thus not allowing the cam to open all the way. If it happens again I'll just push the spring into proper position with my finger and it should be okay for a while. I do like the idea of the rudders unlocking automatically upon touching bottom. I'll look into upgrading. Thanks! :D
  • The old style will kick up. I had an 85 and they kicked, no problem. A little sailkote never hurts. The problem could be that the holes in the blades are not drilled in the correct place. I had seen this on other boats. As little as a 1/4 inch off makes a huge difference. Find someone with the old system that does kick, line your rudders up with theirs, mark the holes and redrill.

edited by: beachsailor, Sep 14, 2009 - 03:53 PM
  • yea, i can't recall for sure, but i thimk my old style ones did kick..

but they did meet their end when they "didn't kick" one time...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.