Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trapeze Questions  Bottom

• This may have already been asked but I am new to the forums and to sailing. I am trying to set up the trapeze on a Solcat 18 that I got and the bungy is completely gone. I've seen several drawings on the forums of how to set it up but I was wondering what diameter of bungy I need and if anyone knows a place I can order it.
  • 3/16" is pretty standard and you will likely need about 9 feet of it. You can get it on-line from a number of places including Murray's Marine, and darned if I can remember the rest. Andrew what other on-line dealers sell cordage?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have found shock cord by the foot at Academy Sports and Ace Hardware.
    Academy has it in the boating section. Ask at Ace
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-3520.jpghttp://www.murrays.com/mm…e=01-8019&Category_Code=

This is 1/4 inch line. Instead of using the hog-ring I just slide the cord through the hook and tie a small knot that will fit back into the hook.

edited by: skarr1, Sep 11, 2009 - 05:22 PM
  • ya just tie a figure 8 and leave a little tail. They are pretty easy to untie if you need to take the clip off which I have to do every year when I put the boat away for the winter, and last week when I had to re lace one side of my P18 tramp because the line there failed.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I use 1/4 inch, but am setup to allow me to move all over the boat while still hooked (since I am the only movable ballast).

The setup requires a small block under the tramp at rear beam and another at the opposite side front beam. The shock cord runs through the tramp, to the opposite side block, back to the block on the same side and back up through the opposite side of the tramp (Big N under the tramp).
  • all online places sell it (murrays, catsailor, saltydog etc)
    i use 3/8ths it lasts longer and holds up in the sun longer

i agree that you should at least consider running it under the tramp through some blocks to add more line. this will help you move around and if you peter pan (fly around front if the bows go under water) you will want that slack

Dustin... do you lace your h18 with bungee? i know some people do this but my h18 pointed better and sailed faster when my tramp was TIGHT.. this was critical and i would never use bungee on a tramp (again i know some do)
  • No I have a Prindle 18 and I lace it with 1/8 in line but the blocks for the shock cord for the trap lines on mine tie to the side lacing for the tramp. Instead of tieing a separate bit of line for this I have been creating a loop in the lacing in the right spot during the lacing to do this but that requires having the block free to tie into it. In order to do that I need to take off the plastic clip and take the shock cord out of the block tie it in then put it back sot it's nice to be able to untie the knot in the shock cord to take the clip off.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • gotcha
  • Hi, I have been trying t fiugre out the trap lines too. If you look at the how to part of the photo ablume there is a set up for the prindle that looks good. It does require you to add a couple of gromets for the line to drop below the trampoline. I was just taking my boat apart again, it needs some fiberglass work, that can be another thread. I noticed towards the front of the center post that there is a little bale attatched, like for a pully. I think this is how it was probably set up before. On mine there is a pully attatched to the adjustabel tang, for the shrouds, and one attatched about a foot and a half back to another tang in the hull. I think the shock cord goes from the hook, to either pully, to the bale at the front of the tramp and to the other side and up to the opposite trapize line. This would put it on top, but it is pulled forward and contained by the bale at the front. Haven't tried it because I'm still waiting on my order of shock cord material, and of course the forthcoming fiberglass repair.
  • My friends Sol cat is similar at least from the top of the tramp to the prindle setup but has some differences. The Aft trap line comes in on the tramp a little more and the forward one actually goes into a little hook or something on the front beam and passes to the other side. I couldn't tell if it went through the beam or under the tamp at some point. But the general idea was the same as the Prindle Setup. However I have very little to no Solcat experience and his may not have been exactly right either.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • What is the link for the "picture of this?" I think the "N" set up is the key because of the extra length you get. Thanks!
  • The N setup is for the extra sock cord length. It allows you to use larger diameter shock cord and still have about the same amount of tension on the cord through it's normal range of motion. As Andrew also pointed out, it is great when the bows bury and you go flying.

I had crew with out with me about 3 months ago. Crew was on the wire, leward bow buried and crew stayed on the wire all the way around the bow and arrived at the low side. Luckily I am much fatter than the crew is and the boat stayed upright. The great part was that there was enough shock cord to allow the crew to travel that far without separating the shock cord from the trap height line.

I have done the same thing in the past with shorter shock cord setups and the trap either separates from the line, or from me (throwing me in front of the boat).

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.