Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

nacra 5.7 questions  Bottom

• This past weekend, I got my recently purchased 5.7 out on the water. Good time was had by all, once we worked through the inevitable new-to-me boat rigging questions. Couple things I could use help with, though.

Mast rotation. mast rotates freely. I seem to recall on a 5.2 there was a way to control/tune this? Something seems wrong here with it moving to much, especially in light winds (diamond wires were smacking into the jib).

Main halyard. Should have checked this before I posted, but at the lake I seemed to have neither a cleat for the main halyard, nor a bead on the wire to lock once up. What should I have here?

Zippered luff. Kind of a pain. we made the mistake of trying to rig this at the dock (rigging on the beach was not an option yesterday). Is hoisting the jib prior to lauching an option?

Thanks

Chris
  • The nacra 5.2 had a boom with mast rotaion control cleated off at the boom. You can install a mast rotator control on the boomless rig, but it will mount on the bottom of the mast facing forward, and then you will need to add cleats on the front cross bar. The main halyard should have a bead on the wire, is there a v cleat just down from the top of the mast. The zipper luff is easy to use once you are used to it, you can install a roller furler to making launching easier, if you decide to do so you will have to shorten you forestay to accomodate the roller furler drum etc.
  • I put up the Jib on the trailer all the time shouldn't be a big deal unless winds are high. You also can put it up and manually furl it and tie it in place till you get launched and on the beach then connect it to your jib lines.

Furler would be nice but I haven't got one either.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • my 5.2 jib came with a fixed pigtail to the tack and in strong winds the jib would fill, even when uncleated, and try and drag the boat around. usually when i was trying to drag it up the beach at an angle to the wind

recently bought, off this forum, some used parts and found the jib pigtail had a snap-cleat? that went to the jib tack

this has been very helpful as i can hoist the jib and leave it completely depowered until ready to launch and when landing i can jump off the main beam into waist deep water and unsnap the jib tack before i walk round to the back and pulling the boat backwards up the beach

edited by: erice, Aug 10, 2009 - 05:29 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.