Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

wing sail  Bottom

• I have been trying to do some research on wing sails. i have found one website who make rigid wings and they claim that a wing sail puts out twice the power on certain tacks. What i want to know is when you sail by wire what exactly are you controlling? alerons? i have seen pic on a c-class cat that has a wing sail.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Would you be controlling both wing angle to the boat and some kind of flap adjustment? I am not familiar with rigid wing sails, but it looks like the battens on a cat sail do some of the same principles as the soft wing sails I found on the internet.

With claims of twice the power, I would wonder what they are comparing to. Also when not on those certain tacks, how do they compare.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • instead of using drag for down wind sailing the wing just rotates so that it lifts the boat down wind. i think that the wing would dominate upwind but that would be about it. i bet it floats nicely when capsized

--
    --
  • There are pictures of a wing sail on an A-Class cat during the 2007 Worlds at
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=36427

I don't think it proved to be a big advantage, and handling the thing is a major operation requiring a giant storage box. Pretty cool experiment though.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • check out the aero skimmer on youtube. that looks like the thing to do

--
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.