Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Turning over the stick  Bottom

• I'm now on my fourth summer with my Prindle 16 and I live for the speed. At least half of my sailing is solo but once the wind hits 15+, I call up my buddy and we hit lake. A big guy on the wire helps keep the boat flat (even more speed) and he's a big help if we need to right it.

I have been turning over the stick to him to get him some experience with the controls and it allows me to get out on the wire. We both win!

We switched spots after an hour of 16 mph wind with plenty of gusts today. I emphasized to him not to cleat the main sheet.....keep it free in case you need to let her run. We had a great afternoon and needed to tack back to the beach into a small bay which funneled the wind and really picked up the intensity. He was doing great so I let him bring it in.

We came up a little short and needed one more tack (to get it spot on and raise the hull one more time). We came about and as we came up to speed, the gust hit. He was still getting situated with the stick, traveler and main sheet and never saw it coming. The bows dove under and threw me over the front crossbar and into the water. As I looked back, the main sheet was cleated in and the wind was driving her over. He came sliding across the tramp and took the mast right across the abdomen. It was over in seconds!

The good news....I was able to stand in chest deep water (small bay that we needed to tack through to get back). Threw the righting line over the hull and pulled her back up. We decided to walk the boat into shore. Definatley a novice mistake but a learning experience for him and a wild ride on the wire for me.

We're hoping for more wind tomorrow!

J. Mueller
    Prindle 16
    Muskegon Lake, MI
  • You were out on the wire before the captain was situated after tacking? I typically do not crew, but typically do not let the crew out on the wire until we have completed the tack and am ready to power up. Do you keep the jib sheet in hand while on the wire? That would give you a chance to depower, at least some, if needed from the wire.

Sounds like you had a good day of sailing, can't really complain after a good day if no one and no equipment got damaged. I need to get my crew more familiar with the controls, I like to see that you are giving your crew experience.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I had the ring on the hook but was still on the tramp after we came about. The wind gust took us both by surprise and buried the bows so fast that there was no reacting. Regardless of which one of us on the wire (single trap), the crew always has the jib sheet. Since I was hooked in and thrown forward, I helped the whole process by pulling the top of the mast forward with me. The cleated main sheet finished the whole process off by rolling us on our side.

In hindsite, had I not been hooked up, it would have been man overboard! I would consider 30 mph winds crewing with this guy. We push it to the edge knowing that we might go and would have the ability to get her back up. His first time at the controls of a pitchpole. Can't say enough about that experience.

I have done some reading with people stating that the Prindles are much less likely to pitchpole than other cats. I haven't sailed a Hobie so can't compare but when I have gotten into trouble with the P16, it has been due to the buried bows. That's probably why you see so many videos of cats screaming on the water with the crew hiked out directly behind the captain on the rear cross bar.........keeping the bows up.

J. Mueller
    Prindle 16
    Muskegon Lake, MI
  • I was sailing in 10-15mph wind and with in a minute of lauching we pitchpoled my trac 14. I feel on the mast and my brother landed on the cleated jib...and now the original jib is abliterated. i have a 420 jib on the cat now.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • No cat is immune from pitching... but the higher volume (in the bows) hulls are less prone to it.

If your gonna sail in 30+ you should get a double trap setup.. you need 2 people to hold down a cat in 30..
    ... when the bows stuff.. get back on the rear beam.
  • I have spent quite a bit of time in the air wondering where the boat had gone and how I was going to catch it after I land.

The experience of multiple cartwheels has been educational and I think I am finally getting things right for solo heavy wind sailing.

Heavy air setup:
    1/ Add spreader rake. This is a touchy config, so 5 to 10 mm more than normal depending on wind.
    2/ Diamond wires tighter than normal (able to bull to mast about 6 to 8 inches above the base.
    3/ More mast rake. One additional hole on the shrounds, 1 less on the bridles.
    4/ Footstraps - Have them and make sure they release in some way. I use the aquastraps to prevent trips to the orhtopedic surgeon.
    5/ Get on the wire and lock into the footstrap (aft foot behind the aft beam).
    6/ Outhaul in tight.
    7/ Remember the mast rotator controls. More wind, less mast rotation for upwind and if the wind gets high enough limit downwind rotation.
    8/ Play the controls in the following order (I have no jib, so your milage will vary):
    - downhaul
    - traveller
    - main sheet
    - righting line

If anybody has any insight, I welcome the input.

• Do you really change your mast spreaders and diamonds if its blowing hard?

PS i would avoid the last control unless absolutely necessary.. sheeting in on that line (righting line
    ) will not depower you much... ;)
  • I think it was last on his list for a reason... : )

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I actually have changed diamond setups for a very hard blow (25+) I don't weigh enough to be out in that kind of air solo without using every trick available.

The last control doesn't usually depower too much, but makes it possible to go upwind. Sailing using only the tramp is fine downwind, but I have trouble trimming for upwind use.

edited by: rpiper138, Jul 22, 2009 - 10:48 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.