Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

crab claw rig on H16  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Did anyone check this guys rig out? I can appreciate the technicality to the design and build of this rig.....but why icon_confused

What a waste of a good H16 icon_frown

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Hi Turbohobo,

Thanks for the good words on the design of the rig. It has been a lot of fun developing it.

Your question is fair ? Why? My answer might not make sense to a pedal to the metal purist like you, but here goes. Short answer: I want a quick ride, to be in the water essentially single handed ten minutes after driving up, and I want complete control over sail power so I don?t end up in the drink.

Longer answer: I am purely a recreational sailor, and my favorite thing is spending time with my loved ones - preferably on the water! ? and the more time there the better. I used to be a monohull sailor, then my kids made comments like, ?Well, it?s kind of fun, but it?s kind of slow.? The moorage felt really expensive after that, so I looked for a quicker boat I could keep beside my house.

The answer would be obvious to you ? I got a beach cat (Tornado by Sailcraft of Canada). That was a lot of boat! Due to circumstances I only got it out a couple times, but the set up time was a real pain, so I looked for a way to get on the water easier and quicker, preferably single handed. I saw some bipod (A-frame) mast rigs online and thought that might be an answer to the set up issue. Some sail rigs, like crab claw and others, lend themselves to this type of mast.

Being an engineer I enjoyed reading Marchaj?s ?Sail Performance? book about rigs. There has been a lot of discussion about crab claw rigs, which Marchaj found to be great stuff in wind tunnel testing, but real people have found the performance to be elusive. I did my own wind tunnel testing and couldn?t get his numbers to windward, but did get respectable power off the wind when I added some important design details.

The rig in the pictures and video is the result of my findings, which I bolted to a Hobie 16 that lacked some of its rigging. I set up the rig easily and single handed in six minutes, ready to untie the boat and launch. I can instantly reef when the wind builds, and because it is so easy I often reef when gybing for a really smooth turn. No, it is not as fast as a standard rig, especially close-winded, although over about 60 degrees to the wind it does pretty well. I am still learning how to get the most out of it. It is considerably faster with only two people, but with three as seen in the video it was still fun. It points well under full sail into the wind ? in the middle video clip I was trying to get inside the pilings without tacking and was about 40 deg to apparent wind.

My kids are catching a love for sailing, and who knows - some day I may even get my wife out there if I let her control the reef line! Not for everybody, but I am curious if there are other recreational sailors out there that find this interesting?

Take Care,
    Gerry

• I attempted to post a video in that Beach Cat video page-here's hoping. It's not clear the YouTube video link I put in the post above worked, so here it is in plain URL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHugLA5A5Tw

• is it as fast as a hobie with the regular sail?
  • I have to confess, I have not sailed side by side, and I am still learning how to get the most out of the rig, but I don't think the crab claw is as fast on most points of sail as a standard rig. It does pretty well especially between a close reach and broad reach-but then that is the best for almost any sail. It is definitely faster with two people than with three on the video. I'm not a fast rigger and I like easy, so for me this means more quality time on the water.
  • very nice!

good to see some other flavors in a vanilla world and the crab claw rig really does draw the eye

do you have any still shots up anywhere?

what is you A frame made of alloy or glass?

hopefully i will be able to repair the old bezaan rig on an old rowing dingy for my kids this summer
  • Thank you. Variety is the spice. I like the looks.

I put an album in the technical category you might enjoy. I also have a couple slide shows on YouTube, one of which shows how it goes together
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PX6Sp-QNW4

plus a 19 second clip showing how I raise the mast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6SfJYIuyBo

The mast and spars are aluminum alloy tubing in 8 ft or less sections with joining hardware.
  • The regular mast is sealed to help keep the boat on its side in a capsize. If your mast does not provide enough flotation the boat will turn all the way upside down and be very hard to self right.
  • Gerry, I mean no disrespect on your crab claw rig, quite the opposite in fact, I can appreciate the time and effort and ingenuity that went into the design. In fact a major downside to owning and sailing a H16 is the time to rig for sailing, even though I built my own solo mast step rig, it still takes me 45 min to get on the water, so I usually make a day of it. And pedal to the metal it is, I won't go out if the wind is less than 10 knots, the need for speed on a catamaran is addictive, trapped out with the tiller extension in one hand, sheeting line in the other, total trip. Lot of hard work though but it keeps me in shape,..........though I still can't figure out why my kids don't want to go sailing with me??? icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • skarr1The regular mast is sealed to help keep the boat on its side in a capsize. If your mast does not provide enough flotation the boat will turn all the way upside down and be very hard to self right.

Thanks for the insight. Perceptions like yours is one reason I wanted to talk about this. I wonder if it could work to fill the mast sections with styrofoam cylinders? Have you ever heard of anyone using that?

• sealing the mast sections is recommended

rather than fill them it may be easier make carve some close fitting end plugs of microcell foam and then seal them in there with silicon sealant

silicon sealant can also be used to seal any rivet holes etc

test the sections by holding them underwater

• http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/07-30112.jpg
    for sale here http://www.murrays.com/mm…30112&Category_Code=C-RI
    These are used to help. Since your mast is shorter, I don't know if it would be large enough.
  • turbohobo... In fact a major downside to owning and sailing a H16 is the time to rig for sailing, even though I built my own solo mast step rig, it still takes me 45 min to get on the water, so I usually make a day of it. And pedal to the metal it is, I won't go out if the wind is less than 10 knots, the need for speed on a catamaran is addictive, trapped out with the tiller extension in one hand, sheeting line in the other, total trip. Lot of hard work though but it keeps me in shape,..........though I still can't figure out why my kids don't want to go sailing with me??? icon_biggrin

Count me as a (vicarious) fan of you high octane guys. I jumped off the garage roof with my brother when I was a kid, but I am content to watch you guys bail into the drink on those high speed video clips.

Is your sailing really a little too radical for your kids? Sounds like the opposite problem I had with my monohull. Do they like it when you tone it down or aren't on the hairy edge of dumping it? I have one son who is always ready for action-he has even been talking about skydiving-and another who is more easy going like me. Guess it takes all kinds.

I am thinking about starting a discussion thread about different styles of cat sailors. You have high octane and something a little de-tuned between that and most monohulls. One of the things I am trying to do with my rig is make it simple to tune the power level and easy to go after work or without commiting the whole day. Seems to me if we get kids exposed to a style of sailing they can relate to, and if it is simpler, more will get the bug and join us for both kinds of water fun-fast and faster.
  • I grew up on the coast in South Africa, a typical little surf nazi, did not have much money so bought a 2nd hand board and lived to surf, the bigger the waves the better. Surfed shortboards untill I crushed 3 vertebrae in my neck, bodysurfing a huge shorebreak and got dumped into the sand, headfirst. Switched to riding a longboard, easier to paddle but kept breaking those as I rode it like it was a shortboard and they just can't take those snaps off the lip. Then I discovered the Mini-Malibu, inbetweener, not short but not long either, paddled like a longboard but maneuverable like a shortboard. So I was back in the game, able to surf the bigger waves, with bigger surf comes the "rush", the emotions of fear, elation, panic, dread, exuberance that blend together forming an emotional high.

Then we moved here to the USA, great land and people, dissapointing surf, terms like knee-high surf, is that standing on the beach, or standing on the water? never figured that one out. Lived in VA for a while, in the Hamptons, would head to the beach when hurricane's were blowing past, everyone else going in the opposite direction, managed to surf some 8' waves, measured from the front of the wave, from the surface of the water to the top of the wave.

So, stuck here in the Mid-West, what is a man to do, aha! he exclaimed, sailing, the bulb went off, but not just dull monohull type sailing, catamaran sailing. So I found a H14 down by Stockton Lake, taught myself to sail on that, sold it after a couple of months and upgraded to the H16. Now the "rush" is back, wind blowing 20-25 knots, trapped out on the side of one hull, 4'-5' off the water, tiller extension in one hand, mainsheet in the other, leeward hull almost buried under water, just waiting for a gust to heel the boat over harder.............. icon_eek so that's why the kids don't like sailing with me icon_lol she's 13 and he's only 10.

Maybe I should just get a daysailer(shudder)..... icon_razz I think I will sell my H16, (up for sale on this website), and upgrade to a H18.....what do you think? icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I really like the step up to the H18, but for me it was as much about space as performance. For me at 6'8" crawling under the H16 boom got old and the added space sure is nice. Not nearly as many boats around, but since I don't race it doesn't really matter.

However the H18 is a lot more boat to handle in 20-25 knots solo. A lot of fun with 2 people but I don't think I would go solo in those conditions. Then again I am on lake Michigan so I get waves to go with the wind and not a pure adreneline junky anymore icon_smile .

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteMaybe I should just get a daysailer(shudder)..... I think I will sell my H16, (up for sale on this website), and upgrade to a H18.....what do you think?

Actually daysailers are fun in good wind! the first (and only time i sailed one) i crewed for my 74 year old sailing mentor. It was blowing about 20. It was a blast. The first heat we came in 4th (we did not practice at all before so i was "learning the ropes"). We won the next 3 heats, and the final heat.. we were the overall winner! He asked me, and i agreed to crew from him next fall (he doesn't win with his regular crew).

As to the H18 upgrade... if i were you... i would look at other cats before you purchase a H18. I have owned both H16 and H18 and where there is some "upgrade" qualities to the H18... but IMHO, it is not "all that".

It is an old design... heavy as snot (400+) and my H18 was constantly in need of repair. My beams were cracking.. my castings broke, the rudders broke, etc.

It wasn't a bad boat.. and i learned how to sail on it (i was clueless when i owned the H16) but i think you know how to sail and could get a more "responsive" cat and really love it...

Now... $$$ is a different subject. You will have to look hard and pay more to find a more modern cat...

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 29, 2009 - 11:08 AM
  • So......maybe a P18 or even the P19????

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • when i got home last night i looked at a picture on my wall of my H18 and started to regret how poorly i spoke of it... :)

It was a good boat.. sure it was heavy, no fun in waves, old, needed new gelcoat and was not powerful enough (or at least made me work much harder than my current boat does) and slow by todays standards..

BUT it was clean (as in less lines), simple (in comparison to all the lines/controls of a modern cat) and CHEAP (to purchase, i got if for $400)... so i felt a little bad...

that being said, i would not trade my mystere for anything.. if i break it,... i have no idea what i could get that i would like more... i love the size (5.5), power, hull volume, handling etc...

I think the H18 and P18 share most of the bad charictoristic... bad in waves (even though they have very different hull shapes), underpowered, old design, much to much frame flex ... etc

BUT the P19 is a different story! its a mini Tornado! small centerboards, hull volume, more power... etc! thats a good call in my book

I also like Supercat 17's but the mast is a bear and they are very wet! the self tacking jib option rocks upwind but you pay for it downwind...

good luck, keep us posted
  • turbohoboI grew up on the coast in South Africa, a typical little surf nazi, did not have much money so bought a 2nd hand board and lived to surf, the bigger the waves the better.
    ...wind blowing 20-25 knots, trapped out on the side of one hull, 4'-5' off the water, tiller extension in one hand, mainsheet in the other, leeward hull almost buried under water, just waiting for a gust to heel the boat over harder.............. icon_eek

Must be something special in the South African water! My friend Mark P, I can't remember is he is from Cape Town or Joburg, was a crazy surfer, windsurfer, now kiteboarder. On Memorial Day he was divebombing my friend and me on the cat, seeing how close in front and behind he could buzz us. Flippin good times.
  • I just watched the latest video of the crab claw H16, and the link is now in the video section.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…-viewdownload-cid-2.html

Pretty smooth, the only suggestion I would have for future videos is not to have 3 on board, the boat was riding kind of low. If it's truly easy to rig and sail then demo it single handed. Less weight can only make it look better. icon_cool

All sailmakers and boat designers try to get the lightest/best skipper to demo there products. For some reason when people see Randy Smyth win a race with a new boat design or sail, they think it's the new boat/sail and not Randy that made it go fast!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.