Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P-18 solo is great  Bottom

• I sailed my P-18 single handed for the first time this weekend and was really amazed how easy it is. There was enough wind to fly a hull easily and I did so numerous times. I built a solo righting system just in case, but didn't have any problems. The boat is faster and more responsive solo. Working the jib was no problem.
  • I can still remember the first time I did that, what a thrill. At first I was a little scared to push it then after a few hours I was having a blast.

Boy, did I kick myself in the butt for not doing this sooner.

• I have sailed a P19 as well as a H18 solo and it feels GREAT. Such a sense of accomplishment knowing its just you, your boat and the wind.
    Memories that will last forever.
  • I have yet to sail mine solo but as my kids are not always as interested in going as I am. I hope to make that jump. still a little new to this so makes me a little nervous. I'm not so much worried about righting the boat if need be but getting back on the dang thing afterwords.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Dustin (and everyone).. these are skills you should practice before you need them...
  • The first time is always the toughest. Just sail within yourself on a nice wind day. I would suggest on flying the hull after you have more solo confidence. You will know it when you know it. Also, you will end up pushing it too far eventually. You will remember that feeling as well.....
    icon_smile
  • You can always go to the lake with other people and then take the boat out by yourself for a while. That is typically how I get out solo. People hang out at the beach, eat lunch etc and I just keep sailing. I have taken all the boats I have sailed out solo and in the right conditions far more responsive then with crew. Especially love the SuperCat 20 solo, but the H18 and H16 have a totally different feel solo then with crew.

This weekend was my first time with 3 people on my H18M in heavy air and it is amazing how much wetter of a sail it is with the 3rd person.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have sailed mine solo tons, it's easy.
  • At first I preferred to sail with a mate. But as I gained experience solo... it is less hassle. When the wind is up a mate is still a good thing to have with you, righting is certainly a snap with one. But the feeling of accomplishment and freedom taken from soloing is worth the effort.

Approaching a dock under sail at a busy ramp is the next item to master.
  • with our busy lifestyles needing crew is a real limiter to sailing as often as most us would like

because of this 2 handed boats are often cheaper and in better condition than solo boats

so forums like this are often asked "i'm new to cat sailing and i was going to buy a small cat like a hobie14 but my friends say i will soon outgrow it, i can get a great deal on a .......... (16-20 foot beachcat) could i solo that?"

the true answer is "yes, most people, in most conditions can learn to sail them solo if they take it slowly and are careful" the reason that answer is given with lots of reservations is that every year a few people will wreck boats, injure themselves or die trying to solo 2 crew boats

just like noobs on powerful motorbikes

congratulations on your success, not only is it a huge boost to your self esteem to manhandle these monsters solo but when people on the beach see a sudden gust knock that huge sail plan over to a 45degree angle and tiny little you fully out on the wire steering and dumping sheet to recover control and bring her back down

when they see that

they are impressed because it seems to defy the laws of physics and they know they are seeing skill in action

so again, congratulations to all you solo'ers of 2 man boats

but be careful out there

(my tiller extension came off in my hand the other day during a tack as i hadn't twisted it enough, thank chr#$+ it didn't come off when the boat was well up on a hull as i'm really pulling on it at that stage - might be time to go fixed and long)

edited by: erice, Aug 10, 2009 - 05:16 PM
  • The P18 can be quite a ride solo...I've done it countless times. It can get a little hairy when the wind picks up, though.

Actually I sold my P18 to a buddy of mine last week, and he took it out yesterday for the first time since he bought it and one of the shrouds snapped down to just a couple of wires. D'oh.

Erice: I was double trapped on the P18 and got my hiking stick caught between a wave and the rudders, and it snapped back 90 degrees. It barely worked afterwards until I got a little sand in it, and now its permanently stuck fully extended. It's GREAT for soloing, but its a pain to use it when I have crew b/c of the risk of skewering them when they're trapped behind me. I have to either let it trail the boat, and steer w/ the rudder bar, or just let them take the stick behind me. I finally just bought another Arriba.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • ericeso again, congratulations to all you solo'ers of 2 man boats

but be careful out there

(my tiller extension came off in my hand the other day during a tack as i hadn't twisted it enough, thank chr#$+ it didn't come off when the boat was well up on a hull as i'm really pulling on it at that stage - might be time to go fixed and long)

For this type of reason, when I took a newbie crew out this weekend (20+mph wind) and they didn't understand why I wanted them on the wire instead of me. "Don't you like it" was their first question. I had a hard time nicely saying "odds of falling off out there is great then sitting here, so better you then me" without scaring them, but that is my theory. I typically won't hike out with a total newbie in conditions that warrent someone on the wire.

Solo no problem, but personally would rather come off the boat when solo then leave someone on the boat that doesn't know what they are doing. Also don't sail solo on an empty lake either, or without my radio.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I solo'd the p18 2-3 times, flipped by not letting main sheet out during the tack, doh! Pretty good my dad was on the beach with the rib.

Now I typically solo the p16. I have solo'd our sc17, but that is a lot of work because I can't get the weight to the front to drive the bow through the water.

QuoteFor this type of reason, when I took a newbie crew out this weekend (20+mph wind) and they didn't understand why I wanted them on the wire instead of me. "Don't you like it" was their first question. I had a hard time nicely saying "odds of falling off out there is great then sitting here, so better you then me" without scaring them, but that is my theory. I typically won't hike out with a total newbie in conditions that warrent someone on the wire.

I had a possible buyer for the P16 and took him out and the wind picked up a bit, so he had to trap out. had unbelievable trouble getting out there. had to dump the sheet before he was out. Dumping him in the water in the process. No sold boat that day.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • Quotesudden gust knock that huge sail plan over to a 45degree angle and tiny little you fully out on the wire steering and dumping sheet to recover control and bring her back down
    You said it Erice, was out sailing yesterday in 18-20 knot winds, trapped out fully when a huge gust hit, dumped sheet, boat kept on going over past the 45 degree angle, I'm looking down at the mainsail and decide to dump totally and let go sheet, boat slaps back down, I fly off the boat in an arc skipping across the water, boat heads into wind and we meet up with me gracefully sliding back onto the tramp feet 1st. I'm thinking how fortuitous when I hear the sound of clapping from spectators beachside who saw the whole thing, I collect my wits and sail off in a much more docile manner untill my legs stop shaking..... icon_rolleyes

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • That's what is so great about sailing Cats, more specifically soloing. Yes, it can be some what
    sketchy however as long as no Coast Guard we ALL have a story. Just have someone take you out a few times, get you ramped up with some basic sailing knowledge you will build your own stories to take home.
    Remember: Broken bones heal, chicks dig scars and Glory does last forever...
    icon_smile
    I had a possible buyer for the P16 and took him out and the wind picked up a bit, so he had to trap out. had unbelievable trouble getting out there. had to dump the sheet before he was out. Dumping him in the water in the process. No sold boat that day.

lol. if that turned him off you of it you did him a favor.

QuoteRemember: Broken bones heal, chicks dig scars and Glory does last forever...

However, remember broken bones in the summer WILL keep you from sailing. I've been grounded for weeks and still have weeks to go.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • That is an absolute BUMMER...
    Yes no doubt broken bones are a buzz kill.
    I hope your first sail back is EPIC!
    icon_biggrin
  • great thread-I was going to post my thoughts on soloing my H-16 because last friday was awesome:
    I was off work, no one out but a sunfish and large keel boat, some pontoons
    lake is no-wake (thus no big waves just smooth sailing with small whitecaps)
    wind 10-15mph steady SSE (lake is narrow E to W)
    so could set close hauled up and down ~ 3 miles all afternoon
    although I didn't have to clip in and hike out, just sat out on the rail (I'm 220#) I was able to consistently get the hull up just skimming or 2-3 ft depending on my tiller and mainsheet handling. It was a slice of boat karma just feeling the wind,sail, hike out and main sheet to keep the hull up. I really didn't want to quit but it staerted getting dark.
    A couple times I blew past pontoons 'cause they couldn't exceed wake. icon_lol The guy in the keel boat threw me a beer towards the end, and helped me unstep my mast on shore.
    Overall a great day-what sailing is about
    oh, my girlfriend called me while flying a hull and I about lost my cowboy hat!! Yee Ha!!

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.