Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

h-18 mast raising system  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I would definitly have some "guy wires". I just hook some straps from the dolphin striker to the trapeze wires(does you boat have trap?). I prop the hobie 18 mast(28' long) with a 2x4 as high as i can reach. then i hop on the boat and raise it the rest of the way. but i am 165lbs and 20yr old so i am not sure how difficult it is for you. i built a backup mast hoist just in case my tramp decides to rip and sends me for a ride.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • QuoteI have been trying to figure out how step my mast solo with my Nacra 5.2. I have looked at the mast steppers available and I still haven't figured out if they will work for me (you have to twist the mast 90 degrees at about 3 feet off of the rear beam).

YES the ez step system can be used with a mast that turns 90*.. you simply bend one of the yokes open to allow for the rotation.
  • QuoteI just hook some straps from the dolphin striker to the trapeze wires(does you boat have trap?).

I would be VERY careful putting stress on your dolphin striker. they dont break often, but they can break. The weight/stress of a mast (esp at the angles) can be pretty extreem (esp if the mast falls, or slips, or other) and most masts can handle being dropped.. but the striker may not be so... understanding???? lol

I had 2 eyestraps put on my H18 on the ends of the front beam. this was to tie a line to my trap wires to act as guy-wires to stop any sideways movement of my mast while stepping (and not using my EZ step
  • QuoteNice link, thanks, I assume this isn't too different than the one on Murray's.

same principal.. except the ones on murray's utilize the trailer as the tie off and most systems use a winch on the trailer.. not on the gin pole.

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 22, 2009 - 10:40 AM
  • Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but we just used a short, cheap extension ladder to aid in stepping the mast. With the mast in its step, my wife walks forward raising the mast as she goes. I step under, and take the weight of the mast with the ladder. Then we both prop up the ladder, until it's leaning toward the boat 35 degrees or so. maybe 5' behind as well. ratchet the ladder up a few steps, and the mast is easily high enough to get it the rest of the way from the tramp. I think with a couple exta legs bolted onto the ladder to stabilize it, this could work solo as well (currently, my wife holds the ladder steady as I climb on the boat - not as dicey as its sounds).
  • This works perfect:
    I found that raising and lowering the mast is a cinch with temporary side stays (make two equal length cables and then raise to top of jib pulley using the jib halyard with the cables attached to the front cross bar temporarily they must be taught but not over tight. Cleat jib halyard securely obviously. This creates temp sidestays that are perpendicular to the mast preventing sideways movement of the mast. This prevents any sideways movement of the mast while raising and lowering it. Then use the front stay and a long line (rope) and muscle to lower the mast you could probably include a pulley system if you were trying it alone. Also use a temporary hard floor made from using 5 2 by 4's and 2 2' by 8' plywood sheets - Helps to have an assistant obviously but the mast stays straight which makes it easy to handle and you feel confident that it's not going to get away from you. This system is very common on midsize boats with permenantly installed side stays just for this purpose. The only differance is that yours are taken down and removed when the mast is up (or down) by letting the jib halyard down again. - Works perfect.

rch701I have built an extension to my mast holder for my h-18 trailer and it should work fine except for one part. i have noticed that most people use bungies hooked to trap lines to stablilize the mast. i am not comfortable with little bungies holding a $900 mast. could i use 1/4'' rope instead. or maybe a combo of each?

• QuoteShe then walks around to the front and connects the forestay.

Hate to resurrect this topic, but...

Does anyone else feel they need a third hand to pin the forestay?
    One on the stay pulling it down, one on the furler lifting it up, and one for the pin?

Now it's just my wife and I going out and she's barely 5'. I can get the mast up (with much effort), but there is no way she can pin the forestay by herself while I hold it. Even though the beach I go to has many helpful sailors on it, I hate asking for help.

I have loosened the stay adjusters by one hole, and it helps a little, but it's still really tight.
  • Yes it can be very hard to get the pin in the right adjuster hole on the furler.

a suggestion is to loosen 1 side stay many holes (if not all of them). After your mast is up, sails are raised you can then point the boat off the wind about 15 degrees* (while on the beach), put on your harness and hang on the side that needs its adjuster plate reset... and put the pin back in the right hole. now your forestay is very tight.. and side stays also tight.

*by pointing off the wind a bit, your traveler will go to one side (should be the side that needs adjusting). if you sheet in you will now have slack on that sidestay. i would still get weight on the trap line just in case there is a wind shift.. you really dont want your boat powering up on you with the pin out of the stay... and no weight on it
  • This might be of interest. This guy rigs his H18 solo with little additional equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7kZOQ5WQk

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • This question goes to ''theTudor'' the pic you sent for mast raising didn't download at least for me ,Iam really interested in youer system,as I have a small frame wife as well!! so I could use alittle help. thanx Chris [HOTWAVE18] icon_smile
  • Flaco,

You may try disconnectng the bridle wires at the bow tangs instead of the using the furler adjuster plate. I have the same issue - while my son holds the mast I will invariably drop the pin. Its cumbersome and I am 6'3". I have to rest a bridle wire on my shoulder but I dont see that working for your 5' ft frame wife. You can also do like MN3 says - "loosen 1 side stay many holes". I do this now and it is a time saver as well.

While there are 2 bridle wires to attach they are lower to the ground and by disconneting the bridle wires you are not stressing the wires while being trailored.

Edited by sailinagin on May 20, 2011 - 09:52 AM.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.