Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another newbie question - proper trap technique  Bottom

• Hello again all,

This forum is so useful I find myself thinking about asking my questions here first before researching elsewhere. In this case, however, I have tried and come up with very little.

I was getting my gear together (still haven't fixed the DS rod so haven't gotten on the water yet) and started to wonder about my assumption that I could use my old windsurfing harness for getting out on the wire on this boat. I looked around the web, found bits and pieces - one guy mentioned that the windsurfing hook wasn't right for a trapeze harness, other places gave some advice on technique.

It occurred to me that when hooked in while windsurfing I was in a sitting position for which my bucket harness with a spreader hook at my waist was appropriate. But that seems not to be the case for cat sailing. Most of the pictures I see show a straight out from the hull standing position while trapped out, with the harness hook farther up the chest.

Are there conventions for this? Is it strictly what's comfortable for the individual? Do you guys like shoulder straps? Should my old harness work or will I have to look for something else?

Thanks for any advice.
  • I have not used a windsurf harness before, but it is likely it will work. Most trap harnesses have the hook fairly low, about waist height. So that they are below your life jacket (PFD). Many people also use low profile PFD's to make sure it stays above the hook of the harness. All my PFD's are low profile but it is more important for shorter people so that the two do not overlap. I use a harness without shoulder straps mostly for convenience, but also do not spend really extended periods of time out on the wire. Probably just 10-20 minutes at a time or so.

I would test your harness on shore and if the hook stays in then you are probably good to go. Also don't try it the first time while out by yourself on the lake incase you have problems. Also make sure your tiller is long enough, I had to get a longer tiller for mine, I guess the previous owner captain never trapped out since he did not have one long enough to work.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I doubt the position of the hook really makes a difference other than comfort, as long as its relatively close to your center, and like Scott said above, it doesn't interfere with your PFD.

If its just got a single downward hook like the cat harnesses I don't see why you'd have an issue...if its the wide hook (kinda like two connected hooks an inch apart) like kite harnesses you might have to make sure you have the larger style dogbones:

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MS&Product_Code=25-3620&Category_Code=

Good Luck.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • i have 2 windsurfer harnesses that i use for trapping, have never used a full harness. both have spreader bars, 1 of the hooks is a fat plastic thing and doesn't really fit the trap ring well so i am a bit worried about unclipping by mistake

the best harness of the 2 you can see by freezing the video at 0.22.

http://www.vimeo.com/5075989

i also have several pfd and most get in the way of the hook but 1 is quite high cut so i use that when trapping

as the hook on a windsurfer harness is waist height and not chest height like a full harness youhave to adjust the trap line longer to allow easy hook on while sitting on the hull, but this length doesn't allow very flat trapping

but that's fine for solo use on a small gusty lake where the ability to get in and out quickly and smoothly is more important than ultimate trapping angles

edited by: erice, Jul 10, 2009 - 07:31 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like I'll go with the old harness for a while, see how it works (hopefully a couple of years of pizza won't force my hand).

("Man is born, man lives, man dies..." - had that song in my head for two days now.)
  • erice, who makes that harness. Looks pretty comfortable.

Also that is an awesome video
  • ryman522erice, who makes that harness. Looks pretty comfortable.

Also that is an awesome video

thanks

the harness is an old, well used, neil pryde windsurfer harness that a windsurfer rental shop sold to me for $10

looks a bit like this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEIL-PRYDE-SLALOM-ST-WINDSURFING-SEAT-HARNESS-W-BAR-SML_W0QQitemZ250459750893QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a509081ed&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

sliding in and out on the non-slip had worn the seat out, something windsurfer harnesses not made for, so i've recently hand sewn some nylon webbing on to hold it all together

edited by: erice, Jul 11, 2009 - 02:19 AM
  • Did you go back & get your hat? LOL

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.