Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Painting the name on the side  Bottom

• My father and I are working on restoring a neglected Prindle 19, and, while searching for the varioius parts needed to complete the project, we are planning on painting the name on the sides of the hulls. We have had several boats where we have used vinyl, but since this is such a big surface to cover, figure it would be better to paint it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stencil/mask the name on the boat and have it come out looking somewhat professional?

Thanks,
    Stephen
  • regardless of size, i would go with vynle (personally). it can be 100% proffessional looking, and can be removed at a later time.

I know this guy (who is in the Coast Guard) makes great ones as he makes them for many racers (and races).

http://www.wildergfx.com

please tell him i refered you if you contact him :)
  • I had graphics painted on my first Hobie 18. I was having a friend (who was a professional paint/fiberglass guy) do a bottom job on the boat and asked him about painting "TheBeachcats.com" name on the boat while he was doing the other work.

I pictured a name the size of registration numbers, here is what he did.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=11283

It came out great and since he used marine grade paint, sprayed with an air brush like you would paint a custom van, it is still good after more than a decade.

I doubt if this would be practical for do-it-yourself unless you happen to own all the equipment including a paint booth and safety stuff.

Show us pics of whatever you do!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • how about all diy?

start by making the boats name with a rough edged font like word's "chiller" (rough edged font for hand painting)
    - enlarge letters to A4 size and print out on home printer
    - if you want bigger letters use a copier to enlarge the A4 sheets to A3
    - if you want even bigger cut the A3 in half and again enlarge A4 to A3 again
    - tape them back together to have BIG A2 letters
    - cut out the letters from the sheets
    - tape the sheets onto the hull to form the name
    - hand draw the letter outline onto the hull with pencil
    - hand painted onto the hull with normal enamel paints

- much the same thing was done with putting the makers name onto the mast and rear of hull but instead of a font a digital pic of the old peeling transfer on the hull was used

- that held up well for a year so a picture was broken into a grid and transfered onto the old dacron sail, then hand painted on with black enamel again

takes a long time but if you've got a long winter and you can't sail...

everything standing up well so far:o)

freeze frame video at 0.15, 0.17 to see whole boat

and 0.38, 0.39 and 2.08 to see a little more detail

http://vimeo.com/5075989

edited by: erice, Nov 25, 2009 - 04:10 PM
  • See previous posts for christening ritual lest Neptune get annoyed at you.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.