Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replacing Viking Port on a Hobie 16  Bottom

• I've got a 1974 Coastcat Hobie16 and one of my ports needed to be replaced. When i pulled the old one out it appears the foam layer in between the fiberglass had taken on some water which has caused it to expand to about 1-1½ inches in thickness. Also some of the holes the screws go through weren't cut properly so they're like ½ holes around the outside of the hole for the port. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to replace the port so it doesn't take on water. I was thinking about injecting some resin around the ring of the port itself and then scre wing the new viking port through the resin and sealing the entire port off with the proper waterproof sealant. Should i just fill the old holes in and make new ones? Can i fill the old holes in w/ resin?

Lastly, can I use FLAT viking ports on my contoured hulls. I'm assuming when I screw it in, it will contour itself. I could just return the FLAT ports for contoured ones but if they will contour themselves I may try and save myself the return shipping cost and hassle.

Thanks in advance for any advice. As you can tell, I'm somewhat of a novice. I enjoy sailing immensely but have always lacked in the home/boat improvement department. icon_frown

edited by: Gyella, Jul 01, 2009 - 12:50 AM
  • - not sure what boat you are talking about, didn't think hobie16's had ports??? do you just mean catamaran instead of hobie16?

- expanded to 1-1.5 inches, wow! that's really thick, how thick was it initially?

water in the foam is bad.....

injecting resin sounds good, make sure the foam is fully dry first

i think you could move the port around in the big hole and make new screw holes, sealing the old ones with resin sounds good

i don't think you can use flat ports in a contoured hole, if the flat port has to deform too much the screw in part won't screw in. guess you could try bending it and see what happens before you put it in
  • Use the contoured ones, the flat ones will give you grief. Make sure that you through bolt with nylon locking nuts and washers instead of a sheet metal type screw. Use a good 100 % silicone when putting the ring in. Tighten just to a snug point when you first put them on and after 24 hours tighten a little more for the best seal. Make sure that the "O" ring is seated properly.
  • PS Viking is a name brand... you can use other brands

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.