Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another 5.8NA Parts Cunundrum - Replacement Daggers  Bottom

• Has anyone else had this problem? So two seasons ago I orderered a new set of Daggers and they came in too thick, I tossed em and the factory replaced then with another set. By this time I had reworked my old ones to the point where they were good enough and the new ones sat in storage last season. This season I decided to put the new daggers into rotation. TOO THICK AGAIN! Has anyone out there had this problem? Do I need to take a sander to them, make sure they fit and then re-gel coat? It was stupid not to check em when they came in but I assumed the factory had got it right.

Note: Daggers get pretty beat up over a season on lake michgan. That's why I wanted two sets.
  • Larry, I have seen this problem before, but it was the boards, usually much older used boards. If you had bought new boards, the kind with the hole/handle design I would be suspect of the trunks on your boat. Not a short or simple answer here. Check out your trucks very carefully, measure and look at other 5.8's and 6.0's if any are around. The 5.8 and 6.0 share the same trunks and boards. The older boards would swell do to water penetration at the seams, not likely with a new board.

--
    Philip
    --
  • She's a stock boat and had been raced for most of her life. There is no evidence of any modifications to the trunks or any repairs. I think I'm the first owner that has allowed her to touch the sand so I'm the one causing the wear.

Good point on the measurements though.

One note, the factory admitted that they had made a bad batch and sent me a reject set by mistake. I wonder if it happened more than once. I may ship them back.
  • I'm not implying that it has been repaired or modified, but stuff happens, even with new boats and boats over time. I have seen the skirts around the trunk bow and then pinch a board. Check everything out carefully and see if something is not right. . . . kind of like the forestay issue. Don't make assumptions. (i.e. don't assume the boards are too thick, might be something else)

--
    Philip
    --
  • why don't you measure the boards max thickness and the trunks max gap so you can work out exactly what's happening

then those of us with nacras can compare measurements

i think my 5.2 has the same boards as the 5.8, so that would mean same trunks etc

if it were me i would be looking at the carpet strips at the top and bottom of the trunks

• Erice,
    The 5.2 does not share the same boards as the 5.8,6.0.
    daggerboard part #1030 (5.2,5.5,18SQ)
    daggerboard part #1032 (5.8,6.0)

As mentioned their are a few known issues.

Larry,
    What model year is your boat and do the working boards have rope pulls or hole/handle type pulls?

--
    Philip
    --
  • Rope.. And what I got were handles. My old boards with Rope pulls work just fine and yes because the felt collected beach pebbles I removed upper and lower long ago. Boxes are in good shape. I gave them a thorough inspection when I touched up my marinetex wear strips in the bottom this year. Model year is 91.

As always thanks or the advice.
  • Postscript..The dealer knows the previous owners of my ride. As it was a racer, he suspects that the bottoms of the trunks were closed in and my boards are modified as well. This was a popular modification to the 5.8. I think he's right as the owner told me he had the boards recoated when I bought her.

Dealer's suggestion: Carefully open up the bottoms with coarse sandpaper untill the new boards fit. This probably explains why I have problems with beach pebbles as well. As said, I'm the first beach sailor for this cat. Project for next spring.
  • get some measurements of boards and slot of your boat and others so you know how much material you probably have to remove

edited by: erice, Jun 29, 2009 - 05:11 PM
  • Yep! I think I'll call the factory and see if I can get a template.
  • Larry,

Talk to Jack. Something just isn't adding up here. The modifications that you are referring to are tuning the boards to the trunk, to prevent the boards from "slop" or play, typically done on the trailing edge of the lower trunk, sometimes on the sides if needed. Just curious, how far down did the new boards go, or did they enter into to the top opening?

FYI, a modified board is unnecessary. To make a board thinner, you would practically have to build it from scratch, or it would fail.

--
    Philip
    --
  • They made it through the tops and and slightly out the bottom. I don't know where they are hanging up yet because we were out on the water when we discoverered this. As stated the set that came with the boat work fine. My guess is the trailing edge.

PS: I was quite a sight: spray soaked, in my wet suit, sailing gloves driving home like a bat out of hell to get my other set of boards.
  • Well, sounds like you're getting somewhere. Seems to me that there "might not" be anything wrong with the new boards. Check the lower trunk openings as suggested by the dealer. IMO, if the boards are entering the trunks and not binding until they start protruding and exiting the lower trunk I would now focus on that area.

--
    Philip
    --
  • lots of ways to find out where they are binding

1 might be to try dropping the board in and then running a strip of paper around from the bottom

or drop a long bit of cotton/fishing nylon down the well, fit the board and try and move the thread around the board

edited by: erice, Jul 01, 2009 - 03:53 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.