Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Standing Rigging on Beach Cats  Bottom

• Why do beach cats seem to all have vinyl coated rigging? I was under the impression that the riggings life was extended if the steel was allowed to breath.
    I suppose on the shrouds coating might protect the sail on a run, but Davis makes a cheap cover for this purpose that would allow breathing.

edited by: kgatesman, Jun 27, 2009 - 09:17 AM
  • Mine are not coated but they are probably pretty old. They seem to be in pretty good shape still but standing rigging is on my list. I'd like to replace and keep the current set as backup.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Much better off using the uncoated shrouds and forestay. You can have extra material applied to the sails where the rigging will hit while going down wind. They will use either sail material or the clear material that they use for the site windows, your choice. I like the clear.
  • I don't get why the pieces Salty Dog and Murray's sell are coated. Is there anyone that sells pre-made parts (uncoated) for Prindles? Or do I have to work through a chandelry to have a set up made?
    While the rigging is in good condition, some of it is very old and should be replaced. I am guessing my shrouds are orignal as they have the nicropress type swage. My diamond wires and forestay have nicer connections. Maybe it is all original equipment, who knows (which calls for replacement).
  • When in doubt or unknown replace as i've found out in past.I find it funny when others say oh it's just a kink or just one cut or fray then later on you here there story about how the mast went down or their they ended up in water after trap wire finnaly gave way.If i have a kink a fray,cut etc. I replace and use as back up emergency.Cause when your out by yourself your screwed if something happens just my 2 cents.
  • I dont use coated stays because they usually rust (from having trapped saltwater in them) and you cant see this.

I purchase slip on plastic covers and only use 1 or 2 per side (3 would cover the entire cable).

I simply slide them up and or down as desired (up protects the sail and down protects my crew from the stays if needed). I also put some clear sail tape on any batten area that might need it.
  • Just a few
    things to consider when buying standing rigging for your beach cat. I would advise against using some outside sources for your wires. Many manufacturers are using cheap stainless steel wire rope from some asian sources. Try and get them made locally using Mil/Aerospace spec wires made in the USA or Europe and the same holds true for thimbles, forks, ovals etc. When I bought mine, the cost was less than from the factory. I also asked that they pack 5200 in all my fittings to help keep the salt water out. You should always check your rigging, and change often. There are lots of places that you can not inspect, and they are normally the ones that fail. You will know the cheap asian wire, because it normally fails in 12-18 months. If in Palm Beach County Florida or near by consider Florida Rigging 561-863-7445, they truly know what they are doing.
  • Quotecoated stays usually rust ...plastic covers...1 or 2 per side

Exactly what I was thinking.... why does Murray's and Salty Dog sell coated wire only? Murray's did tell me they will strip the vinyl off on request.

And thanks for the tip on local sourcing Hullflyer!

edited by: kgatesman, Jun 29, 2009 - 08:47 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.