Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

importance of ratchets on jib blocks  Bottom

• I need jib blocks for my new P16. I found a super deal
    on some Harken non-ratcheting blocks and an ok deal
    on ratchet blocks. I am trying to keep my costs down since this is my second cat. How important are ratcheting blocks?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • How often do you hold the line versus have it cleated? I think the only real benefit to ratchet blocks is when you sail without it being cleated.

I know I almost always cleat the jib. Assuming you primarily recreational sail. Do your current blocks have ratchets? If so turn them off and see the difference.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • the ratchets help hold the load when non-cleated

my 17foot nacra with a bigger jib than the p16 and the jib blocks it came with had no ratchets, the loads were never too high and as stated it was mainly cleated anyhow

i've since replaced those blocks with the correct harken blocks but the ratchet switches are loose and turning on the pin so the ratchet can't be engaged without pliers.............not missing them at all

edited by: erice, Jun 22, 2009 - 11:28 PM
  • The main advantage is when sailing in higher winds and uncleating the jib to prevent flipping. Go sailing in 15 plus and try uncleating with the ratchet turned on and then in the off position. Same with the main sheet. Uncleating in higher winds there is a lot more pressure and when you uncleat either the main or jib in heavier air and the sail goes out more the boat will head further off the wind and in heavy winds that is not what you want. It will be much harder and take longer to head back upwind to depower. Very few if any new boats come without them.
  • i occasionally sail in heavy air and even with an over sized jib.. i never use them (ratcheting feature). If it is on.. i turn it off (if i realize they are on)

i also don't wear gloves often (maybe when using the spinnaker in 15-20) and have no trouble controlling the jibsheet...BUT i do use high tech dynema blend lines (on the sheets). they are much softer than regular line, and don't hold water (nor do they seem to give rope burns easily)

edited by: andrewscott, Jun 23, 2009 - 09:08 AM
  • If you are working an heavy wind day 20-25 with crew not cleating either sail, you will appreciate the ratchet feature.
  • i have to admit it this weekend i was working to hard on my cat (and very distracted by crew) and i turned on my jib ratchets...

only to find out my jib block is bent and probably about to "swim wit the fishies"

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.