Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

overnight beach parking... how does your city manage it ?  Bottom

• if you live in a city that allows cats to park overnight on the beach,... how is that managed? do they limit it? are there permits... stickers?

I ask because our city is about to propose a permit system that only allows 2 nights a month..... ugggggg i sail 10 days a month...

Also what do you think about their system... how would you prefer it done (not having rules is no longer an option for us)...

thanks

edited by: andrewscott, May 20, 2009 - 03:29 PM
  • We have it run by the local city park district. I store my boat in Wilmette, a little north of Chicago. They have year around storage at their sailing beach. You are assigned a parking spot and can keep it for just the summer or year round (mast up storage in the summer, they will store your mast indoors in the winter), but they are only open for sailing May through October. There are limited/designated parking spaces and stickers we have to put on our boat. I think the Wilmette system works fairly well.

It is in a designated area and fairly tightly controlled. Some people don't like the tight control, but it makes the area safer for our boats and limits access to that area of the beach to people just associated with the boats. They also have shared beach wheels if you don't have your own, and staffed in the summer with a rescue boat and people able to help you get your boat to the water if you need it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • thanks for the feed back. i was actually thinking about your guys system when i asked.. i knew you had it up there but didn't know the details.

can you tell me more? like how much are the passes? how many spaces/passes are there? how do you get on the list for a pass? is there preferential treatment to locals (get top of list)... is there a limit to how long you can have the spot/pass?

thanks
  • I live in Delray Beach, Florida, which in not a very big city. We only warrant 2 exits off I-95 and they are 1 mile apart. The city allows 60 permits and charges $200 for the year. Mast up storage for $200 per year is hard to beat.
  • i know delray very well. my dad has a place in boynton. i used to go to the bars on delray beach when i was 15 (with a fake id)... back when the drinking age was 18 in fla (mid 80's)

where is the cat area?

I would LOVE to get that deal here.. but not likely. they are proposing 2 nights per month... no charge... uggggg
    they dont want us to be there more than occasionally.

i am trying to find a better solution.

edited by: andrewscott, May 20, 2009 - 05:11 PM
  • I live in new Smyrna Beach FL. Ya just pull it waaaay up take the sails with ya and your good to go the beach rangers patrol the beach at night. thats just the way it is here only a sailor would want any parts of my 1980 hobie ( well cept for the mast) I take mine home, gives all the girls a chanch to talk to ya while your takin her down.
  • Quotecan you tell me more? like how much are the passes? how many spaces/passes are there? how do you get on the list for a pass? is there preferential treatment to locals (get top of list)... is there a limit to how long you can have the spot/pass?

The passes are about $250 for residents and about $600 for non-residents, plus another ~$200 for winter storage. I think there are about 150 cat spaces, plus another 200 or so rack spaces for sunfish/kayaks, etc. There is a lottery every spring to fill in open spaces. You put your name in the hat and you get to pick if you keep your space or another open space on the beach. Current permit people first (looking for a better space), then residents wanting a space, and finally non-residents wanting a space. Then after the lottery is over it is first come first serve to fill any openings, by calling the park district. I am told they sell out every year, but every year have 10 or so people leave and new people join. Does not appear to be a limit to how long you are there, as long as you pay each year you can keep your same spot. They allow you to be a partner with someone on a space, but both of you have to be on the title of the boat. But if you sell your boat, that person needs to apply for a new space and will not get your old one. A few of the boats never get setup every year.

Let me know if you need more info. Gilson Sailing beach in Wilmette is the place, you can find it on the web, google maps also has a decent view of the beach. I know they also have places in Glencoe, Evanston as well as Chicago, but Wilmette is the largest. The people in Chicago trying to leave boats at Montrose Beach have issues every year with the Chicago parks people. They don't seem to have an official policy and it is a mess every year.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Great data thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.