Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Online guide to basic cat sailing technique?  Bottom

• I took my Prindle 16 out for the first time last weekend since I bought it a few months ago. Things went ok (I didn't flip or pitchpole), but could have been better... More or less I felt like I didn't know what the hell I was doing...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good guide to basic cat sailing technique or a "getting started" guide online? I appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers!
  • try "Catamaran Sailing by Phil Berman" it's basic and I found it helpful

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I found out the hard way a long time ago that cats dont steer like monohulls. In other words.. dont try to stall the boat by pointing it up wind too fast before you depower the main. You'd be suprised how fast it will flip if you do that on a good gust.

edited by: thtsjon4u, May 19, 2009 - 06:04 PM
  • Rick White has several books on handling cats. they are WELL WORTH the money. He has been sailing them for decades and his wife too.

YOu can find them online at catsailor.com (rick site) at the online store link
  • You can also check out:

http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html
  • i bought rick white's hardback book from the 80's, "catamaran racing" 2nd hand on-line for $5

it was and is a great read

but of course his later book, catamaran racing for the 90's"
    is even better

i hear that the video set or dvd is as good again

so you have options from under$10 to around a hundred

oh and the "hobie university" pdf is a good read for free that you can do right now. i printed off the points of sail pic and stuck it above my computer so it sinks in to me how much cats really want to go upwind at 50-60degrees and downwind at 45

edited by: erice, May 19, 2009 - 05:56 PM
  • I bought Berman's book mainly because I did not see Mr White's books. Mr. Berman does a great job of simplifying. We all sail for our own reasons, a good book goes a long way to discovering what that is by addressing intimidating issues and getting those distractions dealt with.

I do not race nor do I feel that knowing race rules would make me a better sailor. Those chapters do teach manners and safety in crowded fields. For me only... it is like sailing in a mall.

A sailing captain has to be able to approach docks under sail amid other boats without damaging anything... the books give you techniques that are basic, but each time is different and they cannot cover it all.

Knowing one's boat and how it handles specific to it's design is a must. The practical fundamentals of navigation in channels, currents, and traffic are a sometimes hourly rolls of the dice. Always expect powerboaters to not know spit about your right of way and launching needs.

Be resolved that there are places you just cannot sail... narrow cuts with counter tides and bad wind. Carry a paddle always. There are some cute telescopic paddles at walmart that do not take up much room. I carry an oar.

To me it is the freedom from so many powerboat issues as well as milking every bit of potential the hull/sail combination can deliver. It is beautiful to sight and soul. Cats define the term "moving smartly" better than any other boats. They are not only fun to do, they are like flowers moving by to beach bound people, it is all a positive aspect. Then at the end of the day, it feels great to have done it.

• Amen to all that Deepsees!
  • I didn't find anything online (but I'm still searching). "Catamaran Sailing by Phil Berman" and "Catamaran Racing for the 90's" were the best of the books/videos that I got my hands on.

I've got a bit of monohull experience but not cat's so I was looking for a crash course in the differences. "catamaran racing for the 90's" was probably the better in that regard even though I have no plans to race.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.