Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

cat trax for under 10 dollars  Bottom

• With a little luck finding some parts and some imagination i was able to create a dolly for the cost of some duct tape and a foam noodle.
    First find a metal pole about 9-10 feet across. The one i found is about and inch and 1/2 i think.
    Luckily i noticed my neighbors were throwing out an old John Deere kids electric car, so i popped the wheels off quick before anyone else could get to it.
    Next, using a propane torch i heated one end of the pole continuously so i could push it through the middle of the wheels (plastic) to create a bigger hole.
    Now using the foam noodle i just cut it up to make the pads and they also sevre as a stop to keep the wheels from sliping. I cut a section out of the foam length wise so that i could use some more duct tape to kinda of clamp down on the noodle so it would no slip.

Im sure after a while the wheels will wear out and slip around more. Also the store bought trax would prob last forever. But, if your like me and will only use them once in a while and cant see yourself paying 300-500 dollars for them, its a great alternative

• ..I tried to upload a couple of pics..i guess im no good at html
  • Hey I just posted some new instructionsw for picture upload and would love to see you "budget cattrax"!!!

thanks
  • http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4128/h16cattrax.th.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8134/h16cattrax2.th.jpg

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Ingenious Probably wouldn't roll on sand, but if it works for you!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Let us know how it rolls on sand. Great engineering from frugal minds. icon_wink
  • Do the wheels roll independently of the pole or does the entire pole turn?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • My bet: You will spend as much time trying to move your cat on these through sand as you did building them. On the plus side you will get a great workout!

Methinks the wheels will bog down.
  • nice job!
  • alright so they work well for grass and firmer sand. I took the boat out today and i just had a little trouble with them slipping. It was on a lake and the shore was kinda riddled with holes and steep uneven grounds. So i kinda had to muscle it back on land like usual.

If i had an OLD boat or some hulls.. id put some vasaline on a section, take some fiber cloth and resin and make my own craddles..or at least try. I enjoy trying to fabricate my own stuff.

edited by: thtsjon4u, May 19, 2009 - 06:11 PM
  • you can make craddles on your current boat. turn your boat over... use wax paper as a barrier and build up cloth and resin for a perfect fit.

You also could attach line to your current version (as cattrax come with) to help secure / reduce slippage...
  • love it, cheap rocks
  • anyone seen the flyer for harbor freight sale this weekend 10" tiures $2.99 look about right for a do-it-your-self trax I plan on finding out my self as it is to cheap not to give it a try. I am thinking 6 wheels 2 on inside and 1 on outside of each hull. Should give enought surface area to work well even in soft Sand I hope.

I will get pics of build for tech tips and will be way under $100 with any luck at all

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.