Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tiller handle covering  Bottom

• I have a Hobie 14 and it looks like the tiller handle is covered by a golf grip. It's starting to rot and I need to replace it. What are some (good)options?

edited by: RTHayes63, May 21, 2009 - 08:56 AM
  • hockey tape works well..
  • That sounds like that will work. Thanks

Since we are talking about tillers on Hobies, has anybody tried extending the 2 tiller arm past the main sheet and doing away with the tiller extension?
  • You would still want the crossbar that connects the 2 tillers.. otherwise you would be steering with 1 and the other side would be "floating" and causing drag...

if you still used the crossbar...
    i think it would / could interfere with sheeting and traveler action... this could be fatal in the wrong situation...

edited by: andrewscott, May 21, 2009 - 11:40 AM
  • My traveler is pretty lame, so I don't use it unless I have to. If i move the rudder from port to starboard their is only an 8in longitudinal difference. If I was to extend it so I had a couple of inches to spare..... hhmmmmmmm
  • i dont understand what you mean "move the rudder from..."

also if you are not using your traveler you are not getting the most of your sails.. the proper way to sail downwind is with a full sail and traveled out.
  • I think he means that if he moves the rudders from straight to port or starboard that the cross bar only moves 8" fore and aft. On my NACRA my cross bar is about 3" behind the beam. If I have the same 8" for and aft movement I would have to add 14" to allow 3" clearance to the front when the rudders are turned. I would not want to give up that much tramp, and the cross bar would be on more thing for the main sheet to get tangled up on. Also it would be hard to be on the trapeze with out a tiller extension!!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.