Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Epoxy injection  Bottom

• After a great posting by Andrew Scott I realize I now have delamination on the tops of my hulls except around 3 of the posts.

After some reading about the method of epoxy injection I think that may work. I could spend a fortune on Git-Rot and then I realzed I have over a half gallon of slow dry Silver Tip in my garage.

Now my delema is what to use for injection. And will this be enough.

Any Idea's?

Bobby icon_confused
  • I used the penetrating epoxy from West marine and it worked great on my old hobie. It was 1/3rd the price of Git-rot and was supposed to be an equal product.

I have no idea what silvertip is so im not sure. Just thought i would throw out my solution to the git-rot sticker shock!
  • Thank you for the reply, I was planning on stopping by West Marine on Monday when Im down in Panama City, Ill check it out.

Sliver Tip is just two part epoxy like MAAS. I used it on 3 different Kayaks I built

Bobby
  • QuoteNow my delema is what to use for injection

I've done the injection fix on a couple Hobies and I found a meat injector works best. You can get them at Walmart for 2 or 3 bucks, and they do a good job. They're fairly high capacity too, compared to most syringes.
  • Thanks for the reply Ryan.

Its amazing what you can find at work. 70cc syringes free for the taking. The mechanics use them for "duh" filling in delaminated honeycomb!

I brough home 20, that should do the job!
  • Nice! That's a good find!

• what kind of mechanics work on honeycomb?
  • Beehive mechanics??

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • was that supposed to be the $100,000 dollar question?

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Aircraft mechanics.
  • Alex, i will take... "honeycomb" for $500.
  • Having fun with the injection, finished the first hull today using just over a quart of epoxy.

I started by drilling holes in the center every 6 inches, then after that cured I did a push test down the sides closer to the edge looking for soft spots and filling those up randomly.

Im really pleased how well it stiffened up!

Thank you for everyones input!
  • Andrew,

What is most of the skin on an AH-64D made of?

"Beep Beep"

A lot of the aircraft surfaces are honeycomb with kevlar laminated to it. Same as delamination on a hull, when you start getting soft spots, you can inject epoxy.
  • gunpilotAndrew,
    What is most of the skin on an AH-64D made of?

Alex, what is chocolate?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.