Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 rudder \ tiller rebuild  Bottom

• just got an 87 H16 and need to rebuild tiller cross bar but the rudder adjuseter are stuck in place. Cant even turn the screws. Any ideas on how to get the bad rudder adjusters out without destroying the cross bar?
    so far, i have drilled several small holes in one end of the broken adjuster and sprayed a ton of wd40 inside the bar at the tiller extension hole all to no avail. tons of corrision...
  • PDS624just got an 87 H16 and need to rebuild tiller cross bar but the rudder adjuseter are stuck in place. Cant even turn the screws. Any ideas on how to get the bad rudder adjusters out without destroying the cross bar?
    so far, i have drilled several small holes in one end of the broken adjuster and sprayed a ton of wd40 inside the bar at the tiller extension hole all to no avail. tons of corrision...
    This is real hard to do especially if the boat has been sailed in salt water and/or been sitting for a number of years. Best bet is to buy new sliding adjustable end pieces. Use an impact driver to get the screws out. If you can't get the screws out....you're done. Next saw the ends of the old adjusters off with a hacksaw and drive the remaining stub back deep into the crossbar. I used a hammer and a 1/2" socket extension which was 12 inches long. But the easiest thing is to do nothing. Measure the rudder toe-in and, if close to 1/4", just leave it alone and sail it as is.

edited by: sunvista, May 05, 2009 - 02:17 PM
  • Try heat (carefully) small propane torch maybe (carefully) heat will often seperate frozen parts due to the difference in expansion. (do this carefully, don't burn down your boat, house, garage, and if you do don't blame me.)

Advice above given with the understanding that you will be careful.

Don't use the torch over dry grass.

or a puddle of gasoline.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • a few stick of dynamite should separate these "frozen parts"

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.