Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 (HELP)  Bottom

• I'am looking for an 18 to buy an came across an 81'Prindle 18.Everythings with this all gear in great shape,but ya the but I put my hands on the hulls and pretty solid and then in a couple different spots it was like putting my hand on an air mattress my hand went down around 2 inches there was alot of flex and i could hear the crackling or cracking delam i should say and the outside of the hulls were like the top in certain spots.I have never done delam repair but their is alot of spots top and sides.She asking $700. which shes firm on nice boat and all of gear but ya but is it worth the repairs.I quess is it really worth all of that time and money.Thoughts please.
  • Is it really a pain to repair the delam.
  • Walk away. One small spot, maybe. Several spots - she's a gonner. Boats are meant to be sailed, not constantly repaired or even worse, canabilized because of entire structural/material failure. Better to sail a dirty solid boat than mess with dead glass on a clean boat.

Yes. It really is a pain. If you have to ask, you're not skilled enough to bang out the multiple repairs quickly and correctly. There are other P-18's to be found in better shape in that price range. Think of your time and energy expenditure.

IMHO.
  • I only paid $800 for mine last year and had to replace the tramp and most of the lines and a rudder casting but the Hulls are solid. books only about 1200 or so on a good one.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • brjonairEverythings with this all gear in great shape,

Keep this one in mind while you are shopping for a boat with solid hulls, maybe if you find a boat with good hulls and wasted gear you can buy both and make one good boat.

Explain to the owner how bad a problem the delam is if you don't end up buying the boat maybe the owner could part it out and get another P18 sailing.

At $800 if it has a decent tramp, sails, rudder system, trailer, and blocks, those things are worth that.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.