Prindle 18 (HELP)

I'am looking for an 18 to buy an came across an 81'Prindle 18.Everythings with this all gear in great shape,but ya the but I put my hands on the hulls and pretty solid and then in a couple different spots it was like putting my hand on an air mattress my hand went down around 2 inches there was alot of flex and i could hear the crackling or cracking delam i should say and the outside of the hulls were like the top in certain spots.I have never done delam repair but their is alot of spots top and sides.She asking $700. which shes firm on nice boat and all of gear but ya but is it worth the repairs.I quess is it really worth all of that time and money.Thoughts please.
Is it really a pain to repair the delam.
Walk away. One small spot, maybe. Several spots - she's a gonner. Boats are meant to be sailed, not constantly repaired or even worse, canabilized because of entire structural/material failure. Better to sail a dirty solid boat than mess with dead glass on a clean boat.

Yes. It really is a pain. If you have to ask, you're not skilled enough to bang out the multiple repairs quickly and correctly. There are other P-18's to be found in better shape in that price range. Think of your time and energy expenditure.

IMHO.
I only paid $800 for mine last year and had to replace the tramp and most of the lines and a rudder casting but the Hulls are solid. books only about 1200 or so on a good one.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
brjonairEverythings with this all gear in great shape,

Keep this one in mind while you are shopping for a boat with solid hulls, maybe if you find a boat with good hulls and wasted gear you can buy both and make one good boat.

Explain to the owner how bad a problem the delam is if you don't end up buying the boat maybe the owner could part it out and get another P18 sailing.

At $800 if it has a decent tramp, sails, rudder system, trailer, and blocks, those things are worth that.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--