Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Which Cat to buy for new sailor in Texas?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Thanks for the comment. The fact that H16's and parts are readily available is certainly something I am taking into consideration.

Hope you get to do more sailing next summer!
  • I was bidding on a Prindle 16 on eBay when my wife found a 1981 H16 for $500 (I tought her that high grass is sometimes a "For Sale" sign). With some refitting and some elbow grease we have a wonderful FUN and FAST boat. Total cost estimated around $1200 and worth EVERY PENNY! One BIG regret though...I waited too long to get back into sailing (19 years). We're ripping up the Chesapeake now though!!!
  • Thanks for the tip. I'll keep looking in the high grass to see if I can find anything!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to finding the right boat early next year and getting started as soon as its warm enough to get out!
  • Why are you waiting to buy a boat early next year? Usually you can find a great deal on a boat in early winter, because people dont want to store a boat for the winter, this can be a great negoiation point when buying. In the early summer people may change their mind and not want to sell the boat because they can still use it.
    Just a thought.
    Tom
  • The reason I am waiting is funding. I don't have the funds available to buy at the moment. Also, while I have been looking at the available ads most every day I haven't seen anything that was too good to pass up. There's not much out there at the moment that is geographically close to Texas.
  • dont forget ebay or craigslist, sailingtexas.com(98%mono), however my first choice would be with the local fleet. You can always find a good boat for sale, and find a friend. Whatever your choice is...good luck, happy learning (that in itself is a key), and hope those pennies are being saved well. The water will be warm pretty soon!!!
  • I have both a Hobie 16 and Prindle 16. The Prindle is more forgiving and more comfortable than the Hobie. However, the Prindle is slightly slower (but there is a handicap for racing).
    I've had my girls (3-5yrs old) on both without issue...as long as they have some task to do.
    Either is a good choice to start into cat sailing.

My only advice is not to be in a rush to buy.
    Good Luck!
  • Fraser,

Thanks for the excellent advice. It's nice to hear from someone who has sailed both the Hobie and the Prindle 16!

As for taking my time, that doesn't seem to be a problem. First, I don't have the money available yet. Second, it's difficult to find the right boat. I'm looking for an H16 86 or later, but there's not much to choose from in the Dallas or Texas area!

I'll keep looking!

Thanks again.
  • There is a Hobie Wave for sale on Craigslist in Grapevine.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/boa/689312386.html
    I have a Prindle 16 and it is great. This might create a debate but it is faster and will handle better in heavy air than the Hobie...keyword is heavy air. The Hobie will perform better in light air.
  • Another suggestion - go out to Hobie Point at Lake Lewisville and bum rides from people who have different boats so you can decide which is best for you. I have a 6 & 4 year old as well, but haven't yet taken them for a ride. I think that they would be fine on a light day, but given how my H18 loves to go like a rocket, I save the medium to heavy days for myself.

Jason

edited by: JLevy, May 29, 2008 - 09:08 PM
  • Thanks Jason. I did the bumming a ride thing last fall with Fleet 23. Me and my kids had a great time!

I purchased an '86 H16 about 10 days ago. I'm hoping to be out at Hobie Point on the afternoon of June 1st for my first time with it in the water. I'm hoping there will be other Fleet 23 people there to help me!
  • Michael,
    I'm sure you'll get whatever help you need. I won't be out there on Sunday, but I may be out there tomorrow (depending on when I get back from tonight's Steve Miller concert). If you seen an H18 with white sails, it's probably me (I can't remember the sail # since I've only owned it since January).

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.