Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

winching a cat up the beach - on beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/samson-amsteel-blue-rope.html?gclid=COGTjvPWkc4CFYtahgodiDEP-A

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Sunrise uses a 1 peice bias cut that doesn't have a gap at all
    less re-tightening over the life of the tramp

http://multihullnets.com/Prices/Nets/StockBeachCat/bcImages/SC-15BLg.gif

http://multihullnets.com/…s.aspx?PartNumber=SC-15B
  • Quote $19 cheaper online (google search)

plus 16.95 shipping. just sayin

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • gahamby
    Quote $19 cheaper online (google search)

plus 16.95 shipping. just sayin

True! but no taxes if purchased from out of state

It is definitely a consideration (shipping cost and time, taxes, gas, how bad you need it)
  • QuoteSunrise uses a 1 peice bias cut that doesn't have a gap at all
    less re-tightening over the life of the tramp

Slo has the same basic design $370

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Is it hot and still at your place too? Why ain't we sailin?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • gahambyhttp://www.lfsmarineoutdo…GTjvPWkc4CFYtahgodiDEP-A

Those are pretty darn good prices
  • QuoteThe problem is that I have about 200 feet from beach area to launch. I used to have an old 12v harbor freight winch with battery.

Ever have the winch overheat and stop for a while?
    I was testing mine out and got about 30' before it went into Thermal Shutdown mode

It has the worst Duty Cycle rating of 5%
    " Winch with a 5% duty cycle at its
    maximum load must be allowed to rest for at least
    14 minutes, 15 seconds after every 45 seconds of
    continuous operation"

Edited by MN3 on Jul 26, 2016 - 03:58 PM.
  • Funny, you saying that on the kedder rail.
    When I first bought the "new tramp" 8 years ago from SLO, it kept slipping out of the side rails. I talked to Aquarius and he sent me new side rails. Mounted them on and have been fine ever since. In the meantime I had also picked up the vinyl tramp, which I have yet to ever use. Hope it fits right!!! Will finish out the season on that one while I get the new mesh one built. I know I am on my last legs with the 8 year old mesh. Lasted well for being out in salt and sun all 8 seasons - I sail here from end March to mid November (usually). Only time the tramp gets any tlc is in the winter when I break down the tramp and do the rest of annual repairs, maintenance, etc...

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • MN3
    gahambyhttp://www.lfsmarineoutdo…GTjvPWkc4CFYtahgodiDEP-A

Those are pretty darn good prices

Yea, that one got bookmarked!

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • MN3
    What do you do when there is....unfavorable winds or a wind shift?

Tack! Duh.

sm
  • kinda tough to tack a boat on 2 sets of wheels when solo
    Dogboy
    MN3
    What do you do when there is....unfavorable winds or a wind shift?

Tack! Duh.

sm
  • So maybe I am becoming obsessed with the idea, but I now see that other sportsmen have the same set of issues.
    Here is a link to a pretty ingenious gas powered capstan winch that hunters use to drag their game out with.
    A bit pricey, but totally useful.
    No shortage of cable/line length
    Totally portable
    All you have to do is figure out what or how to anchor for the given circumstances
    http://www.capstanropewinch.com

Edited by windwardde on Jul 27, 2016 - 01:32 PM.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteA bit pricey, but totally useful.

for $1000 - it better wash and wax your boat too~!
  • I know, I know.
    However, every now and then I love it when a product looks like it will do exactly what is needed.
    But like most of us, I do not have an unlimited budget. If I did I'd hire a wench, not a winch, to haul the boat out and back!!

Having said all that, I have concluded that the hand crank capstan winch, which I can mount to my post is exactly what is needed and will be delivered to my home tomorrow. Hope to try it out this weekend if winds and tides agree.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteBut like most of us, I do not have an unlimited budget. If I did I'd hire a wench, not a winch, to haul the boat out and back!!

That's awesome!
    I had started to say for $1000 you can hire a team of swedish bikini models to help push the boat up the hill
    but i guess you would run out of funds quickly ...

Quote have concluded that the hand crank capstan winch, which I can mount to my post is exactly what is needed

cool beans - hope it works out
    please post pics - even a video of it in action if you can and a review when you can

Did you get the "GREENFIELD PRODUCTS SkyWinch, Manual Trailer Winch"?
    Where did you order it from?

Edited by MN3 on Jul 27, 2016 - 01:28 PM.
  • windwarddeSo this might have limited interest, as I may have a unique situation, but thought I would ask the question and see if I can get any great/better ideas than I have come up with.

A little more interest than you thought! icon_biggrin

Beachcat sailing is full of both real engineers and "shade tree mechanics" so I knew this would get some interest.

My first mail list for beachcats back in the mid 1990's, called the hobielist, was full of folks with .edu and NASA email addresses, lots of pilots as well.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon,
    Yes indeed - a lot more interest than I thought, but pleased as can be with all the interest, ideas and a few controversies. This continues to be the forum for me. My interest, my type of "engineers" and just enough controversy to make it fun.
    Funny you say that about NASA and edu addresses. My beach has two rocket scientists, one world renowned NASA program manager and they both sail. A b=number of the other sailors are also pretty engineering or backyard mechanic savvy, as well. I think it must run in the blood of sailors. Some sort of symbiotic thought process insailing and engineering. Maybe I'm giving all of us too much credit icon_biggrin
    MN3
    Against all personal and forum advice, I went to West Marine for the Skywinch, as I had been given a $50 gift certificate that I hadn't used in over a year, so the price really ended up being right. I also struggle with West, as they only really have epoxy, paint and other general items I need - very little in the way of sailing gear. However, I don't 100% agree with all the price comments, as I have first hand knowledge of brick and mortar costs vs on-line. My West locally, has a pretty good group of boat owners in the store, so they USUALLY give decent advice. Somewhat making up for the high prices. However, I do take advantage of on-line stores and personal favorites, whenever I can. My sailmaker in NJ is a perfect example. I use him all the time, for repairs and "adjustments". Even a monohull sail from time to time. Haven't used him for Cats, as he readily admits he is not expert in that area. But... service beyond compare and fair - not the lowest - pricing.

I'll definitely send images when I hook up the winch - no wench images to be posted by me.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteHowever, I don't 100% agree with all the price comments, as I have first hand knowledge of brick and mortar costs vs on-line.

what knowledge do you have?
    come on !!! let's argue about it! (jk)

Thanks for the info - i look forward to seeing the pics and report
  • [quote=DamonLinkous]

Beachcat sailing is full of both real engineers and "shade tree mechanics" so I knew this would get some interest.

My first mail list for beachcats back in the mid 1990's, called the hobielist, was full of folks with .edu and NASA email addresses, lots of pilots as well.

Having been a pilot for 35 of my 53 years on this planet, I wouldn't trust them!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.