Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18-2 Rudder adjustment . . .  Bottom

• My starboard rudder pops up too easily and I have been unsuccessful in adjusting it. I have replaced the rudder lock bolt and both springs with no luck. Is there someway I can adjust it? Please contact at edcoover@verizon.net
  • Are you sure you are getting it locked in to begin with?
    It takes a strong pull to get them locked.
    Are the through bolts straight?
    The adjustment is in threading the lock bolt in or out.
    Do you see the lock bolt actually moving the through bolt when you bring the rudder down, especially when testing it on shore?

Edited by klozhald on Jul 12, 2015 - 01:47 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • ecooverMy starboard rudder pops up too easily and I have been unsuccessful in adjusting it. I have replaced the rudder lock bolt and both springs with no luck. Is there someway I can adjust it? Please contact at edcoover@verizon.net

When you replaced the springs.. did you change out the bolts as well? They sometimes get bent and even though they are locking down, they won't hold with pressure. The bend may not even be noticeable...

Also do not honk down on the top bolt of the spring set up... tighten it enough that the threads just make it through the nylock bolt and there is a MM or two of gap. This makes it easier for it to lock down and will save on the wear and tear of your rudder rake adjustment bolt.

Edited by JohnES on Jul 12, 2015 - 11:09 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • the-renovatorhttp://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=89541

That is an awesome write up.....

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • There is one thing missing in the discussions of Prindle rudder lock down. This happened to two P-18s in the Tripoint race & a P-16 in Big Bear. The rudder 1/4" pivot hole enlarges over time allowing the lock bolt to drop down from lock bar. Result is rudder kicking up in heavier air conditions. Solution is to take rudder off, lay on it's side, duct tape bottom of hole, and pour in epoxy filling hole. Next day re-drill 1/4" hole. Pete
  • Just laughed out loud.
    Between John, Pete, Bob the-renovator, and myself, there has to be 100 years of Prindle experience in this thread.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.