Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

winching a cat up the beach - on beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• So this might have limited interest, as I may have a unique situation, but thought I would ask the question and see if I can get any great/better ideas than I have come up with.
    I leave my cat, mast up, on the beach in front of my home on the bay.
    I have invested in two sets of beach wheels to ease the pain of bringing it up the beach - no issue backing it down the beach due to incline.
    As I have aged, and the beach seems to have gotten more incline, I am looking for a simple winch to assist in hauling back up the beach. No access shoreside to pull with 4 wheeler, etc.. No motorized vehicles allowed on beach.
    I do have a 4x4 post imbedded in concrete, directly shoreside of beached area for the cat.
    The problem is that I have about 200 feet from beach area to launch. I used to have an old 12v harbor freight winch with battery. Technically worked fine, but could only get about 40 feet of cable on it. That led to looping a longer cable at the end and going back and forth every time I used up the 40 feet on the winch hub.
    My idea is to mount a wheel stub axle to the 4x4 post. Mount a car wheel to the stub axle. This wheel would be the winch hub and I should be able to get a lot more cable on this larger "hub". Then weld a larger "boat lift wheel" to the hub. Simple take the large diameter boat lift wheel as the manual winch and once boat is on the 2 sets of beach wheels, hand winch it up the beach. I suppose I could power it if I wanted, but thinking the large boat lift wheel might be enough torque, even by hand.
    Anyone tried something like this?
    Thoughts?
    I know this site has some crazy creative sailors with solutions
    Thanks, in advance, for insights here.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Sorry - double post

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • Dear Aged:

I use my golf cart to 'drag' my N-18 square cat up from the beach especially at low tide. Your winch with battery is a great idea especially if you coupled then with a danforth anchor of sufficient 'holding power. And place them all in a plastic wheelbarrow for mobility. Lightweight, transportable, and very simple.

Another "Aged' Catter
  • I would get rid of the cable and replace it with 1/8" dyneema. Far more strength that you should ever need, and small enough to fit a lot more on the drum that what you are probably using.
  • I like the idea of the dyneema line. I might be able to get enough line on to make it work vs. the 40' cable limitation.
    The old setup was pretty sweet. Had a simple winch, a marine battery buried in a plastic waterproof box in the sand and a small solar panel to keep the battery charged. I just hated the issue of running back and forth and looping cable back and forth. I am sure that the dyneema would be plenty strong for this use.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • GilleyNMDear Aged:

I use my golf cart to 'drag' my N-18 square cat up from the beach especially at low tide. Your winch with battery is a great idea especially if you coupled then with a danforth anchor of sufficient 'holding power. And place them all in a plastic wheelbarrow for mobility. Lightweight, transportable, and very simple.

Another "Aged' Catter

Great idea on the wheelbarrow with the winch and battery. I may make a simple cart/hand dolly with a way of anchoring the system in place and then I could use it for other areas and friends boats. This with the dyneema suggestion might make this a lot simpler project than I originally thought

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • I think what you're looking for is a battery powered self tailing capstan windlass. This would enable you to pull any length of rope. This will involve obtaining an anchor windlass off a larger yacht, modifying it with a self tailing drum and mounting it on the 4x4 you have on the beach. If you wired it to a garage door remote you could be with the boat while the windlass did the work.
    How much are you willing to spend? A powered portable windlass is about $1800. You might be able to modify that old Harbor Freight winch with a drum.
    Just spitballin here, it's real hot, I could be delirious.
    What's the vintage on the SC15? I have one(#315 1984) I sail on the Lower Potomac.
    Keep us posted. My Brother has the same situation on the beach in Kitty Hawk with a H17. GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • http://www.thecranker.com/
    Something like this with a self tailing winch perhaps?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Btw a drum with a 1" barrel, a 5" diameter, and a 5" length holds 49' of 5/16" wire, or 300' of 1/8". Stepping down in size can make a huge difference in how much line they can hold.
  • http://www.westmarine.com…z4icC4j84CFUMkhgod29cDng

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • All
    Thanks for the advice and I like the windlass idea, as then I don't have to worry about length of line to use.
    Like the portable suggestion too
    Gahamby,
    It's a 1982 Supercat 15. Few years ago had hulls re-gel coated. Have owned a lot of cats, but this has been my favorite. Getting ready to switch out the tramp to old (but never installed) vinyl one, as the existing mesh one is seeing its age. Just contacted SLO to get quote on new mesh one for next season, but wanted a few modifications.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • gahambyhttp://www.westmarine.com…z4icC4j84CFUMkhgod29cDng
    This can be purchased for $9 cheaper at walmart or $19 cheaper online (google search)
    Screw West Marine

I was there on Saturday needing some glass. Guy tries to sell me glass off a roll on the wall for 10' @ $2.99 a foot. I ask him how is WM glass cloth any better than the 10' of pre packaged West System glass for $1.33/ft. He (was about 19 years old) completely made up a story that WM glass will outlast WS glass... what a crock of crap

Then I asked him if he has West System Six10 adhesive. He tries to tell me they don't carry it. I look around for a minute and find a bin with about 30 containers of it

I just purchased 4 containers online for 17.49 per bottle (westmarine wanted 23.99)
  • QuoteScrew West Marine

Let's get something straight here! I only linked the West Marine page for informational purposes. The manufacturer's page went to an error page. I'm not thrilled about West Marine either but I'll NEVER shop at Walmart!
    That being said, you're hijacking the thread. If you don't have a relevant reply to the Op's question, don't chime in!

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • gahamby
    QuoteScrew West Marine

That being said, you're hijacking the thread. If you don't have a relevant reply to the Op's question, don't chime in!

Yes, i had relevant info: better pricing on a product that was suggested and an anecdotal example of why the merchant you linked to is a crappy one

And your mention of walmart, or why you suggested west marine is no different - It is exactly what you are telling me not to do. Don't bring in a non relevant idea

so lets get this straight -
    this is a forum. Forums are where people discuss a topic. And occasionally that topic can move around a little and spur other ideas and topics . that is the nature of a forum / discussion

This is not your thread, nor your place to tell me what to do. so please... keep your instructions "don't chime in" to yourself
    (edit) or continue to tell me what to do and i will continue to ignore your instruction, either way - enjoy (end edit)

Edited by MN3 on Jul 26, 2016 - 11:27 AM.
  • QuoteJust contacted SLO to get quote on new mesh one for next season, but wanted a few modifications.

I usually tell the story of bad service i had with slo - but i will omit that at this time
    I have had stellar service and a superior quality from Sunrise Yacht Products - multihullnets.com
    They are a little expensive but have the best product on the market from what i have seen (been sailing multi's since 1999)
  • Wait a second, dual beach wheels? What is your predominant wind direction? Why not sail it up the beach!

If your boat has a furling jib, you could drop the main and just use the jib, then when you get to the top of the beach, cut the sheet, yank the furler line, and you're done. I'd give that a shot before monkeying around with winches....

sm
  • QuoteWait a second, dual beach wheels? What is your predominant wind direction? Why not sail it up the beach!

What do you do when there is no wind? or unfavorable winds or a wind shift?

7 /16 amsteel blue dyneema has an average strength of 1600 lbs, enough to hang 4 supercats from your ceiling. Or drag 10 supercats uphill with no wheels

you should be able to get a few 100' feet of that dental floss (2.5mm) on your spool without making any changes to your set up and costs less than .30' (unless you order from West Marine - haha)
  • Dogboy & MN3
    Have used the wind when able, but this time of year we have (often) west winds and I am heading right into them when I bring it in. Fun to do when able to, though. My neighbors always look to see if I can sail it up the beach.
    Looking for something more reliable and I think I have settled on a battery powered winch on a cart with some method of anchoring. That will be the easy part to rig.
    This would help a few other times a year when we are dragging other watercraft up the beach for friends, neighbors and stranded boats.
    Loved all the comments, and no issue on this end with a little spirited discussion of vendors and on/off topic.
    This is a great site and I enjoy the back and forth, as well as all the help and advice.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteLoved all the comments, and no issue on this end with a little spirited discussion of vendors and on/off topic.
    - cool

I have sailed my cat up the beach using a single set of wheels and just turn it into the wind when i'm "home" but this can be a bit sketchy when there are lots of people around, swirling winds or too much rum in the skipper...

I also have a marine battery and remote controlled ATV winch that i mounted on some bed frame rails i had lying around. i put a winch "hook" on the back of the unit so i can attach it to just about any fixed object (car, tree, post, etc) but have never used it (i have somewhat mastered how to roll my 5.5 up the beach solo by pulling it sterns first and angling it up the slope - or i ask for help)

I know Dave Farmer on this site uses a similar system (but he actually uses it, mine collects dust)
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113088&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=113087
  • QuoteJust contacted SLO to get quote on new mesh one for next season, but wanted a few modifications.

I've got a Slo tramp with the 4 bolt attachment. they seem to have the best prices. I've had it for a few years. It's held up fine. I wish they hadn't left such a wide gap for to aft.
    I think I just got the last stick of heavy duty Kedder Rail from Tom at Aquarius to replace the light weight RV stuff that blew out.
    Yea, I do like the SuperCat the best.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.