Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best catamaran in bay with tight 1-3 foot waves  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I have a Prindle 18 and have sailed in the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis for about five years. Do not race but enjoy going fast and flying a hull. Have no experience with a spinnaker but am interested in option in the future. Am looking to possibly move up to a 20 foot boat as typical weight of skipper/crew is about 420 pounds. Looking for a boat that would do well in 8 to 20 knot winds with tight waves up to three to four feet. Any recommendations?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • I currently own a P-18 classic and I love to solo it. When I sail with crew, I tend to take light people. I sailed a Nacra 5.8NA for years and consider it a great boat when the waves get big. Gotta make sure to put some deck-skid of some kind on it to hang on, but it will bounce right through/over those waves. The 6.0 is a nice boat too, but you better know what you are doing in heavy air.
    I plan to sail on the Chesapeake for the 1st time this summer. Taking a summer vacation with the family to Annapolis. I think I have secured a ride with a friend of mine with a Stiletto 27. Hope to see you on the bay.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • I love sailing my P19 in rough conditions. It weights only 10 more pounds than the P18 and its hulls are much better at wave piercing.
    Choppy conditions- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEN77NJdfE
    With a Spin at 3:10 mark- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VvOGbetU5I
  • Supercat 20 with spin added is nice if you can leave it assembled(12' beam). Big, buoyant bows that resist burying. 6.0 with spin, or I20 would do well, and maybe easier to find. H20 could be findable/affordable. The I20 was designed as a spin boat, but my experience with the others with spins added has been good all around.
    Tornado is another great boat, later models came with chutes. A 20' boat is what you want for chop, you'll be pleased with any of them.
  • Thanks for your comments. Would love to find a Supercat 20 but not seeing much out there. My P-18 is at a marina with mast up so setting up not an issue. New boats are out of my price range. Considering the Inter 20 or NACRA 6.0 as they seem to be more available. Would also consider a Hobie or Tornado if others recommend this. Peyton if your in the Annapolis area e-mail me an I will try to get out and meet you guys when you go out. Thanks for your help.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • There are currently 2 SC17s and 2 SC20s in the classifieds on this site. Search tempest will show a few more.
    Here's a classic rescue cat not to far from home.

https://richmond.craigsli….org/boa/5540440253.html

I'd buy it myself but another boat project in the yard would be grounds for divorce.
    I sail a SC15 in the mouth of the Potomac. The short hull length makes her a little bumpy in a chop but she weathers it just fine. Some of my sailing buddies have longer SCs which handle the chop with ease. SCs have huge, buoyant hulls that roll off on the top so they don't dig in. There built like tanks but sail really fast.
    Good luck, see ya on the water, GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Mystere 5.5 or 6.0
    Big buoyant bows for driving
    lots of room on deck
    can be family fun or race winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6I6187L18
  • That video was heavy on the graphics and light on footage of actual sailing.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • tru - here is a longer one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IaQm_yEv4

gahambyThat video was heavy on the graphics and light on footage of actual sailing.
  • I liked the 2nd video in the set with the two cats. Liked the drink holder for the trap man. What kind of harness is that?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • I liked the 2nd video in the set with the two cats. Liked the drink holder for the trap man. What kind of harness is that?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • If you have mast up storage check out the Supercat 20, great boat, big platform, very stable. Also check out the Hobie 21SE, also hard to find but handles waves great, big platform, with wings. Neither are modern high tech boats, but great recreational boats that handle large crews and waves well. Both accept spin's well if you want to go there. Both are also heavy so need 2-3 people to handle on beachwheels.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • murray's

http://sailsportmarine.com/images/Freeseat.jpg

gahambyI liked the 2nd video in the set with the two cats. Liked the drink holder for the trap man. What kind of harness is that?
  • I also raced P-19's for years as well. It's a great boat, with the fwd bulkhead upgrades, but when the wind goes over 15mph, the Nacra points higher because of more daggerboard in the water and better buoyancy up front. I have punched the bows all the way to the front crossbar and still floated/powered up and out. The Prindle 19 I was racing against, snapped the port bow off at the forestay.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • MN3 was that the Mystere 5.5 or 6.0 in the video? What is the beam on each of those boats?
    Appears like the Mystere 6.0 are well priced. Any problems getting parts? Any problems in general with those cats?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Inter 20.....

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Bacho thanks I'm definitely leaning that way. Anyone have any comments on the Hobie Miracle 20?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • The Mystere 6 can be had in both widths, 8 & 10' beams, (or maybe it is 8'6"). I had a 6.0XL, it came with both sets of beams, but I never changed it from 10'.
    That boat was a blast in the water types you are talking. I sailed it solo for the most part, with a bag launched spin. You had to be organized!
    If I had crew most of the time, it would still be my Go-To boat, but solo I prefer my Nacra 5.7, or even the 5.0.
    The older Mysteres had some problems with rudder castings.
    They changed the mast ball in either 2000, or 2001. My boat was a 2001, & had the delrin mast post, they are easy to replace. Previous years come with an aluminum ball/post, (looks like a tornado setup), & they are hard to find.
    The boat had huge flotation in the bows, but i found it difficult to right, extremely difficult when solo.
    Here are a few photos of the 10' beam, (13.5' with wings). You can see the newer mast ball in one of the pics.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=106278

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks Ed. Appreciate the help. Makes my decision more difficult as a Mystere 6.0 with wings would be very appealing. Thanks for the pictures and advice. Almost always sail with crew and could use my Prindle 18 as backup if sailing solo as I am very comfortable with this boat solo in moderate to light winds.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Ed,

Did you sell your Mystere? Are you figuring on the H18 as a replacement? I was envious of that trailer you got with the 6.0.

Pete

Edchris177The Mystere 6 can be had in both widths, 8 & 10' beams, (or maybe it is 8'6"). I had a 6.0XL, it came with both sets of beams, but I never changed it from 10'.
    That boat was a blast in the water types you are talking. I sailed it solo for the most part, with a bag launched spin. You had to be organized!
    If I had crew most of the time, it would still be my Go-To boat, but solo I prefer my Nacra 5.7, or even the 5.0.
    The older Mysteres had some problems with rudder castings.
    They changed the mast ball in either 2000, or 2001. My boat was a 2001, & had the delrin mast post, they are easy to replace. Previous years come with an aluminum ball/post, (looks like a tornado setup), & they are hard to find.
    The boat had huge flotation in the bows, but i found it difficult to right, extremely difficult when solo.
    Here are a few photos of the 10' beam, (13.5' with wings). You can see the newer mast ball in one of the pics.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=106278

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.